I tell you what there is definitely a wealth of here, and that is Buddhas.
我告诉你,这些佛像是这里名副其实的宝藏。
I have never seen so many. There must be 10,000 or something.
我从来没见过这么多。至少得上万尊吧。
Yeah, there are over 10,000 Buddhas here, big and small.
是的,这里有大大小小的佛像超过一万尊。
And if you look at all the Buddhas, you may find some names there.
仔细看这些佛像,你会发现上面有名字。
It's a Chinese practice that people make an offering and then to have the name of the family.
这是中国人的习惯。人们出资供奉一尊佛像后,可在其写上家庭成员的名字。
It's their Buddha.
这就成为了他家供养的佛像。
And it's also a form of supporting the temple, they come in and say "I have a Buddha in there".
这也是支持寺院的一种形式,他们来到这里会说“我在这里供奉了佛像”。
It's like the connection between the Buddha outside and the Buddha inside.
就像是具象的佛与心中之佛之间的联系。
One of the many American Buddhists who come to the temple is Mario Cee.
在众多美籍佛教徒中,Mario Cee经常出入此座寺院。
He became a Buddhist six years ago.
他在六年前成为佛教徒。
There are some who'd say that the attraction of Buddhism for many Americans is that it's pleasingly mystical,
有人说,佛教对众多美国人的吸引力,是这种使人愉悦的神秘感。
it comes from the East, but at the same time it ties in with an "anything goes" materialist lifestyle.
以及佛教来自于东方,但又与不受约束的物质主义生活方式紧密相连。
How do you speak to that?
您是怎么看的?
I don't mean any disrespect by this, but I have some friends who use Buddhism and Eastern religion, Eastern philosophy, and they mix it up with New Age.
我无意冒犯,但我有些朋友确实把佛教、其他东方宗教思想、东方哲学与新时代混为一谈。
And that's ok, if it works for them, that's fine.
这也没关系,只要他们能自圆其说就行。
But my concern is that it is that sort of "anything goes", you know, it's a free market in spirituality. So whatever I'm saying and thinking today is fine.
但我担心的是,那些无所约束的行为这就像个精神领域的自由市场。无论我怎么说、怎么想都行。
Because we have these core teachings in Buddhism, it keeps us in check, so we don't go into anything, "If it feels good, it's OK."
由于佛教核心教义使我们能够自我约束,因此我们不会随心所欲,也不会有“做这事感觉很好,那这样做就没错”的想法。
We're really trying to avoid that.
我们确实在尽力避免那种随意解读。
Buddhism gave me a discipline without a necessity of a God to reward me or punish me.
佛教让我自律,而不是需要有上帝来奖励或是惩罚。