A hostess, "hostess," is the woman, in this case, in a restaurant
一个女领位,在这种场合下,在餐馆中,“女领位”是一个女人,
that says hello to you when you come in the restaurant - that greets you,
当你来餐厅时,向你问好的,
and she asks how many people are in your party,
她问你们有多少人用餐,
meaning how big is your group - how many people are in your group,
意思是你们这些人有多少——你们有多少人?
and then she takes you to a table.
然后她领你们去一张桌子。
The male version of this would be a host, "host."
如果是男士,那就是“男领位”。
So, a hostess is always a woman and host is a man.
所以,女领位永远是女人,男领位是男人。
In very expensive restaurants - in what we would call fancy restaurants,
在非常昂贵的餐馆里——我们称之为高档餐厅,
restaurants where you have to dress very nicely and you pay a lot of money for your food,
来这种餐厅,你必须穿得很漂亮,而且你要为你的食物花上大价钱,
they sometimes have what's called the maitre d', a maitre d',
有时候他们有所谓的领班,“领班”,
which is the person that takes reservations and shows you to your table.
那个人会(帮你)预订座位并带你来到你的桌边。