In this story, the hostess shows Lucy and her supervisor "to a table."
在这个故事中,女主人把露西和她的上司带到一张桌子旁。
To show someone to a table means to take them to a table.
把某人带到桌边意味着把他们带到座位。
When I go into a restaurant, sometimes they look at me and they show me the door,
当我走进一家餐馆,有时他们看着我,给我开门,
meaning they take me to the door and say, "Goodbye, we don't want you in our restaurant."
这意味着他们带我到门口说,“再见,我们不想你在我们的餐厅用餐。”
Happens to me all the time, I'm not sure why.
这种事总是发生在我身上,我不知道为什么。
"The waiter arrives" at their table "a few minutes later" and Lucy and her boss "order entrees," not "appetizers."
“几分钟后”,“服务员来到”他们的餐桌,露西和她的上司“点了主菜”,而不是“开胃菜”。
An entree, "entree," is the main part of your meal, what we would call the main course, "course."
一道主菜,“主菜”是你用餐的主要部分,我们称为主要的一道菜,“一道(菜)”。
Your meal has different parts.
你的一餐包含很多部分。
There's the main course, which is the entree, that's the biggest part of the meal where you would get,
这是主菜,就是“主菜”,这是你会吃的,最重要的一部分,
for example, chicken or steak or the largest part of the food you are eating.
例如,鸡肉或牛排或你吃的食物中最大的部分。
An appetizer, "appetizer," is something you eat at the beginning of the meal,
一道开胃菜,“开胃菜”是你一开始吃的东西。
usually it's a smaller portion of food.
通常是食物的一小部分。
Perhaps you would have some vegetables, or in many restaurants,
也许你会吃一些蔬菜,或者在许多餐馆,
they have appetizers that are fried food - food that you put in oil to make them brown.
他们的开胃菜是油炸食品,就是放进油里,使它们变成棕色的食物。
These are appetizers;
这些是开胃菜;
they are things that you eat before your entree - your main meal.
它们是你在吃主菜——你的主餐前吃的东西。