搜索

赖世雄高级美语第6篇:英美餐桌礼仪

查看: 276.5k|回复: 0
  发表于 Apr 23, 2018 14:26:00 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
赖世雄高级美语第6篇:英美餐桌礼仪
6. Table Manners in Anglo-America
英美餐桌礼仪
"Oh, no! Here I am at an American family's home at the dinner table.
“哦,糟糕!此刻我坐在一个美国人家里的餐桌前吃晚餐。
There are all kinds of plates, saucers, cups, and silverware at my place.
在我眼前有各式各样的盘子、碟子、杯子和银制餐具。
Which should I use for which food?
该用哪种餐具盛哪一道食物呢?
Should I sit down first or wait for the host to invite me?
我应该先坐下来还是等主人来招呼呢?
Should I have brought a gift? Someone please tell me what to do!"
我是不是应该带了礼物才来吗?有谁来教教我该怎么做!”
Have you ever been in or had a nightmare about this situation?
你是否曾经置身或经历过像这样可怕的情形呢?
Don't worry! This article will help steer you through the rocks and reefs of Anglo-American table manners
别担心!本篇文章将助你破除英美餐桌礼仪的重重障碍,
so that if you are ever abroad in Canada or the United States, or at someone's home from one of those countries, you will feel right at home.
如此一来,以后如果你出国到加拿大或美国,或到这两国人士的家中作客,便能怡然自得了。
It is important to distinguish what kind of occasion you will be attending before you plan for a pleasant evening.
在计划过个愉快的夜晚之前,先分清楚要参加的是哪一种场合是很重要的。
Most Anglo-Americans enjoy entertaining at home, but they don't enjoy stuffy, formal dinners.
大部分英美人士喜欢在家里招待客人,而不喜欢沈闷的正式晚宴。
They invite their friends over for a fun evening, not as a test of one's knowledge of cultural traditions.
他们邀请朋友到家里来是为了过个快乐的夜晚,而不是要测试一个人的传统文化知识。
If, however, you are invited to a formal affair, such as a so-called "sit-down" dinner,
然而,如果你应邀参加一个正式场合,例如所谓的“安排就座”晚宴,
you may want to know in advance some basic rules of "black tie" etiquette.
也许你会想事先知道一些正式宴会礼节的基本规范。
The first thing to remember when attending a dinner at a Western home is that you are the guest and that you are a foreigner.
当你参加西方家庭的晚宴时,首先要记住的是:你是客人,而且是个外国人。
No one will invite you if he does not really want you to enter his "castle," so you can be sure that you are wanted.
如果不是真要让你进入他的“城堡”,人家不会邀请你,所以你可以确定你是受欢迎的。
Additionally, as you do not come from the same country or culture as your host, he or she or they will surely be aware of this,
除此之外,因为你来自和主人不同的国家和文化,他或她或他们当然会明白这点,
and will be very forgiving if you unintentionally do or say something which would otherwise offend them.
所以假使你无意间做了或说了某些冒犯他们的事时,他们会非常宽宏大量的。
Keeping these two simple tips in mind should greatly ease your concern about being present at a dinner in someone else's home.
记住这两个简单的准则应该就能大大消除你到别人家用餐的忧虑。
Before arriving at your host's home, you may want to make sure of three things.
在到达主人家之前,你可能要先确定三件事情。
First, be a few minutes late, say, about five to ten minutes if possible.
首先,要晚到几分钟,譬如说5~10分钟左右,如果可能的话。
Never be early, as the host may not have everything prepared yet.
千万不要提早到,因为主人可能尚未一切就绪。
Nor should you be more than 20 minutes late.
但你也不要迟到超过20分钟,
Your host may begin to worry about whether you are able to attend the dinner or not.
否则人家会开始担心你是否能来赴宴。
Next, as to whether to bring a gift, in most informal gatherings, it is not necessary.
其次,关于要不要带礼物,在大部分非正式的聚会中是不需要的。
If you like, you can bring some fruit or sweets, or, especially if there is a hostess, some flowers.
你若高兴的话,可以带一些水果或甜点,或者,尤其是有女主人的话,可以送一些花。
These are thoughtful, cheerful gifts sure to please.
这些都是体贴、令人愉快的礼物,一定会讨人喜欢。
Do not bring alcoholic beverages unless you are sure of your host's or hostess's preferences in drinks.
不要带酒类饮料,除非你确知主人或女主人偏爱什么酒。
Above all, do not spend a lot of money, and never give money.
更重要的是,不要花太多钱,而且绝不要送礼金。
As we say in English, "It's the thought that counts."
就像我们在英文中说的 "It's the thought that counts."(“礼轻情意重”)。
Finally, wear comfortable clothing. One can overdress as well as appear sloppy.
最后,穿着舒适的衣服。过度打扮以及显得邋遢都不好。
For a special occasion or religious holiday, such as a retirement party or Christmas,
在特别的场合或宗教节日,如退休宴会或圣诞节时,
a tie and jacket would be suitable for the gentlemen and a dress or sweater and skirt for the ladies.
男士宜穿西装打领带,女士则穿洋装或毛衣加裙子。
For more formal affairs, you will probably be told what to wear, such as "formal dress requested," etc.
在较正式的情况中,你可能要照规定穿着,例如“请着正式服装”等等。
A tie and jacket or tuxedo for the gents and an evening gown for the ladies would be in order here.
此时,男士宜穿西装打领带或穿燕尾服,女士则穿晚礼服。
If you are unsure what to wear, you can always ask the host.
如果你拿不准该穿什么服装,问主人就好了。
Gifts are seldom appropriate for these affairs, unless for a wedding reception, at which gifts are more customary than cash.
在这些情况送礼通常不适当,除非是结婚宴席,在习俗上大多是送礼物而非现金。
Your host in his home will usually motion you where to sit.
屋里的主人通常会招呼你就座。
At formal gatherings, name cards are sometimes provided, or you will be told where to sit.
在正式的聚会中,有时会摆出写上名字的卡片,要不然人家会告诉你座位。
Do not be alarmed by a great deal of cutlery: simply start from the outside and work your way in.
不要被一大堆刀叉餐具吓着了:只要由外往内按顺序使用就行了。
Formal affairs often have several courses of food with the appropriate cutlery for each dish.
正式宴会常会有几道菜须使用特定的刀叉餐具,
There is no harm in checking with your neighbor to see what implement he is using.
这时不妨咨询一下邻座的人看他用什么餐具。
After all, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
毕竟,人总要“入境随俗”嘛。
It is customary to ask others to pass dishes to you for self-serving;
习惯上可以请别人将菜传给你自己来盛;
at a formal dinner party, there is usually catering (service).
在正式晚宴上则通常会有分菜(服务)。
Again, do not hesitate to ask others for information or advice.
同样地,不要犹豫不敢向他人请益,
They are usually pleased to help you.
他们通常都会很乐意帮助你。
The most important piece of advice is this: enjoy yourself.
最重要的一个忠告是:好好享受。
No host enjoys seeing nervous or fearful guests who are struggling to "do the right thing" at his home or expensive formal dinner party.
作东的人都不乐于见到客人在他家中或昂贵的正式晚宴上,神情紧张或害怕地努力要让自己的举止合宜。
Watch others or ask for their advice, and join in the conversation and good times as best you can.
观察别人或向他们请教,尽可能地融入谈话和欢乐当中。
If you do, after the first such evening out, you will certainly look forward to the next!
如果能做到这样,初次尝过甜头之后,你就一定会很期待下一次的晚宴了!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部