Since the days of George Washington, presidents have delivered some form of final message while in office - a farewell address to the American people.
从乔治·华盛顿开始,总统们就在就职的最后时间里发表一些想法--向美国人民发表的告别演讲。
On Tuesday night, in Chicago, I'll deliver mine.
在周二晚上,在芝加哥,我将发表我的告别演讲。
I chose Chicago not only because it's my hometown - where I met my wife and we started a family
我选择芝加哥不仅仅因为那里是我的家乡--在那里我遇到了我的妻子,我们组成了家庭
but also because it's really where my career in public service began.
而且因为那里是我在公共服务领域职业真正开始的地方。
The running thread through my career has been the notion that when ordinary people get involved, get engaged,
我职业生涯的过程中,一直是有着这样的信念。当普通人参与进来,
and come together in collective effort, things change for the better.
加入进来,一起进行集体性努力,事情才会变得更好。
That's the belief at the heart of this precious American experiment in self-government.
这样的信念,一直存在于美国人民在自治政府的珍贵试验中。
It's what gives work and purpose to each new generation.
正是这些,给予新的每一代人就业机会和目的。
It's easy to lose sight of that truth in the day-to-day back-and-forth of Washington or our minute-to-minute news cycles.
很容易忽视华盛顿一天天,反复来回发生着的事情和我们每一分钟消息循环的事实。
But remember that America is a story told over a longer time horizon
但记住,美国是这样一个故事,在较长的时间中