搜索

TED演讲 第37期:谈魅力(1)

查看: 218.6k|回复: 0
  发表于 Apr 23, 2018 16:00:41 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
TED演讲 第37期:谈魅力(1)
You might be wondering why I'm wearing sunglasses, and one answer to that is, because I'm here to talk about glamour.
你可能会疑惑为什么我戴着太阳镜,其中的一个答案就是因为我今天的主题是魅力。
So, we all think we know what glamour is. Here it is.
所以,我们都认为自知什么叫做魅力。大家请看。
It's glamorous movie stars, like Marlene Dietrich.
是非常有魅力的影星,比如玛琳·黛德丽。
And it comes in a male form, too very glamorous.
也有男性非常迷人。
Not only can he shoot, drive, drink you know, he drinks wine, there actually is a little wine in there and of course, always wears a tuxedo.
不仅仅因为他可以射击,开车-你知道,他是喝酒的,事实上他的旁边总是伴随着酒香,当然,他总是一副绅士模样。
But I think that glamour actually has a much broader meaning one that is true for the movie stars and the fictional characters,but also comes in other forms.
不过我认为魅力实际上有更为广泛的含义。其中一部分(当然)那些电影明星和小说人物所展现出来的但也有其他的表达方式。
A magazine?
杂志?
Well, it's certainly not this one.
不过,当然不是这本。
This is the least glamorous magazine on the newsstand-it's all about sex tips.
这是新标准下魅力值最低的杂志--里面充斥着性爱技巧。
Sex tips are not glamorous.
性爱技巧并不具备魅力。
And Drew Barrymore, for all her wonderful charm, Drew Barrymore,is not glamorous either.
她所有的迷人之处,也谈不上具有魅力。
But there is a glamour of industry.
但是却存在着一个魅力产业。。
This is Margaret Bourke-White's one of her pictures she did.
这个是 Margaret Bourke-White的其中的一幅作品。
Fantastic, glamorous pictures of steel mills and paper mills and all kinds of glamorous industrial places.
美妙的,迷人的图片展现着钢铁厂,造纸厂和各种充满魅力的工业场所。
And there's the mythic glamour of the garage entrepreneur.
这个是车库经理人的神话般的魅力。
This is the Hewlett-Packard garage.
这是惠普当初起家的车库。
We know everyone who starts a business in a garage ends up founding Hewlett-Packard.
我们知道任何一个从车库起家的创业者最终都成了惠普的融资人。
There's the glamour of physics.
这是物理学的魅力。
What could be more glamorous than understanding the entire universe,grand unification? And, by the way, it helps if you're Brian Greene he has other kinds of glamour.
还有什么能比洞察整个宇宙,伟大的统一更加。具有魅力呢--而且,顺便提一下,如果你是Brian Greene这很有用。他还有很多其他类型的魅力。
And there is, of course, this glamour.
当然,这种,魅力。
This is very, very glamorous: the glamour of outer space and not the alien-style glamour, but the nice, clean, early '60s version.
这是,非常非常迷人的--外太空的魅力。而且并不是外星人式的魅力。而是美好,干净,60年代初期的样子。
So what do we mean by glamour?
那么到底什么叫做魅力?
Well, one thing you can do if you want to know what glamour means is you can look in the dictionary.
当然,如果想了解魅力的含义,你可以做的一件事情就是查看字典。
And it actually helps a lot more if you look in a very old dictionary, in this case the 1913 dictionary.
而且事实上如果你去查阅很古老的字典会很有用,在这种情况下,这是1913版的字典。
Because for centuries, glamour had a very particular meaning,and the word was actually used differently from the way we think of it.
因为时代变迁,魅力会相应的有着其特定的含义,而且这个词汇实际上和我们设想的方式是截然不同的。
You had "a" glamour.
你很有魅力。
It wasn't glamour as a quality-you "cast a glamour."
这并不是说它是一种品质--你可以将其抛开。
Glamour was a literal magic spell.
魅力是一种字面意义上的魔力咒符。
Not a metaphorical one, the way we use it today,but a literal magic spell associated with witches and gypsies and to some extent, Celtic magic.
而不是今天我们所使用的,隐喻的方式。而是一种和女巫、吉普赛人紧密联系在一起的魔力咒符。而且在某种程度上,可以是凯尔特魔法。
And over the years, around the turn of the 20th century, it started to take on this other kind of deception.
而且这么多年来,在20世纪的转交之际,魅力开始呈现出一点其他类型的戏法。
this definition for any artificial interest in, or association with,an object through which it appears delusively magnified or glorified.
这种解释是任何有关人的对某种实体的兴趣或者联系,通过它可以呈现出被放大或者渲染过的迷惑。
But still, glamour is an illusion.
但是,魅力仍是是一种幻觉。
Glamour is a magic spell.
魅力是一种魔力咒符。
And there's something dangerous about glamour throughout most of history. When the witches cast a magic spell on you, it was not in your self-interest.
而且关于魅力有一些危险的地方人类历史的大部分情况下,当女巫对你抛出一个不符合你自身利益的魔力咒符。
it was to get you to act against your interest.
它就会使你做出违背自己意愿的事情。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部