So they spread out all the census data,
他们分析了所有的人口统计数据,
and what they found, the guy described to me as a shocker,
他们发现,他的描述对我而言是一个震惊,
which is that in 1,997 out of 2,000 communities,
在一九九七年,两千个社区中,
women, young women, were making more money than young men.
女性,年轻女性比年轻男性挣得更多。
So here you have a generation of young women who grow up thinking of themselves
这一代的年轻女性在“她们是
as being more powerful earners than the young men around them.
比其周围年轻男性更强大的挣钱者”的想法中成长。
Now, I've just laid out the picture for you,
现在,我仅仅将这些画面展示给你,
but I still haven't explained to you why this is happening.
我还未向你们解释为什么这些事情会发生。
And in a moment, I'm going to show you a graph,
过一会,我将向你们展示一个图表,
and what you'll see on this graph -- it begins in 1973,
你可以从这个图表中看到--从一九七三年开始,
just before women start flooding the workforce, and it brings us up to our current day.
在女性充斥劳动力市场之前转移到今天。
And basically what you'll see is what economists talk about as the polarization of the economy.
基本上你看到的就是经济学家谈论的经济两极分化。
Now what does that mean?
这表明了什么呢?
It means that the economy is dividing into high-skill, high-wage jobs and low-skill, low-wage jobs
这表明经济被分为高技术、高薪工作和低技术、低薪工作--
and that the middle, the middle-skill jobs, and the middle-earning jobs, are starting to drop out of the economy.
在这中间,中等技术工作,中薪工作正愈消亡。
This has been going on for 40 years now.
这已经持续发生了四十年。
But this process is affecting men very differently than it's affecting women.
但是这个过程对男人和女人的影响是十分不同的。
You'll see the women in red, and you'll see the men in blue.
红色的是女人,蓝色的是男人。
You'll watch them both drop out of the middle class,
你可以看到他们都从中产阶级中脱离出来,
but see what happens to women and see what happens to men. There we go.
但是看看女人发生了什么,男人又发生了什么变化。这就对了。
So watch that. You see them both drop out of the middle class.
看那个,你看到他们都从中产阶级中脱离出来。
Watch what happens to the women. Watch what happens to the men.
看看女人发生了什么变化,男人又发生了什么变化。
The men sort of stagnate there, while the women zoom up in those high-skill jobs.
男人在这里似乎停滞了,但女人急涨至高技术工作中。
So what's that about?
到底怎么回事?