The power of yet.
专注过程,而不是结果。
I heard about a high school in Chicago where students had to pass a certain number of courses to graduate,and if they didn't pass a course, they got the grade Not Yet.
我听说,在芝加哥有一所高中,那儿的学生毕业前要通过一系列课程,如果某一门课没有通过, 成绩就是暂未通过。
And I thought that was fantastic,because if you get a failing grade, you think, I'm nothing, I'm nowhere.
我想,这真是个绝妙的做法,因为,如果你某门课的成绩不及格, 你会想,我什么都不是,我什么都没有学到。
But if you get the grade Not Yet you understand that you're on a learning curve.
但如果你的成绩是暂未通过,你会明白,学习的步伐并没有停下,
It gives you a path into the future.
你还需逐步向前,争取未来。
Not Yet also gave me insight into a critical event early in my career,a real turning point.
暂未通过也让我联想起一件尤为重要的 发生在我职业生涯初期的事情,这件事对我而言是一个转折点。
I wanted to see how children coped with challenge and difficulty,so I gave 10-year-olds problems that were slightly too hard for them.
当时,我想探究孩子是如何应对挑战和困难的,因此,我让一些10岁大的孩子尝试解决一些对于他们而言 稍稍偏难的问题。
Some of them reacted in a shockingly positive way.
一些孩子积极应对的方式让我感到震惊。
They said things like, I love a challenge,or, You know, I was hoping this would be informative.
他们会这样说,我喜欢挑战,或说,你知道的,我希望能有所获。
They understood that their abilities could be developed.
这些孩子明白,他们的能力是可以提升的。
They had what I call a growth mindset.
他们有我所说的成长型思维模式。
But other students felt it was tragic, catastrophic.
但另一些孩子觉得面对这些难题是不幸,宛如面对一场灾难。
From their more fixed mindset perspective,their intelligence had been up for judgment and they failed.
从他们的固定型思维角度来看,他们的才智受到了评判, 而他们失败了。
Instead of luxuriating in the power of yet,they were gripped in the tyranny of now.
他们不懂得享受学习的过程,而只盯住眼前的成与败,
So what do they do next?
这些孩子们后面表现如何?