And, no doubt, we've all settled at various times.
而且,毫无疑问,我们将会很多次的妥协。
But, don't let necessity in a given moment become the excuse for a lifetime of inertia.
但是,不要让一时的必要选择成为一生惰性的借口。
Keep trying to get yourself to the right place.
要不断试图让自己走到正确的地方。
If I'd stayed a lawyer, I could have made it work for a while, but I would have fizzled out and eventually because I didn't love it.
如果我继续做一名律师,我可能会干得还不错,但是我不会辉煌,因为我并不爱这个工作。
Third, be a well-rounded, complete person.
第三,做一个全面、完整的人。
Many of you will go for further education or career training.
你们中的很多人会继续接受教育或者是职业培训。
Of course, it's important to learn the things that you need to make a living.
学习维持生计必须的东西当然是很重要的。
But, don't forget to read, and to learn history, literature and about current events.
但是不要忘了阅读,学习历史,文化以及时事。
You'll be more interesting to others, more interesting to yourself and you'll be more successful in your job.
你会变得更吸引人,对你自己也更加有兴趣,会在你的工作上更加成功。
Most of the books I've read didn't apply directly to my job or industry, but I've applied their lessons in unexpected ways.
我读过的绝大部分书对我的工作甚至这个行业都没有直接的用处,但是书中的经验教训总会以意想不到的方式发挥作用。
Fourth, be involved in the community.
第四点,参与社区活动。
Find ways to contribute to make yourself proud and set an example to your kids.
找到可以让你感到自豪的贡献方式,为你的孩子们树立榜样。
Making a living is not life. It is a means to an end, not the end.
谋生并不是生活,只是达到目的的一个手段,而不是目的本身。
You have to feel proud of yourself.
你需要为自己感到自豪。
There are always going to be people who struggle and for whom community work is not a realistic option, but try.
总会有人需要为生计努力,对他们来说社区工作并不是一个现实的选择,但是请努力尝试。
I've done plenty to advance myself over the years.
在过去的岁月里我做了很多事情来让自己进步。
But, the older I get, the more satisfaction I get from serving and advancing others.
但是年纪越大,我越来越能够从服务和帮助他人进步中得到满足。
In fact that's how I first got involved with President Mellow and LaGuardia -- through the 10,000 Small Businesses program we initiated at your school.
事实上,我最初结识麦罗校长和拉瓜迪亚社区大学就是因为我们共同发起的这个一万家小企业项目。
Finally, appreciate that life is unpredictable, so don't close your mind to possibilities.
最后,要明白人生是不可预测的,所以不要对可能性自我设限。
Try to surround yourself with people who are equally ambitious.
试试和那些一样具有野心的人为伍。
Put yourself in situations where you can grow - where you'll not only push yourself but where others will push you.
让你置身于可以成长的环境中--在那种你不仅仅可以让自己进步,其他人也会推动你前进的环境。
What were the chances that a kid from the poverty would run one of the great financial institutions in the world?
一个从贫困小区长大的孩子掌管世界上其中最大金融机构的机会有多大?
You just never know.
你永远不会知道。
That unpredictability is the great thing about life.
不可预测性是生活最伟大的一点。
You change. The world changes.
你改变,这个世界也在改变。
You live in a country where we are still blessed with enormous opportunity.
你们生活在一个仍然拥有得天独厚机会的国家。
Leave yourself open to the world of possibility.
让你自己对无限可能的世界敞开胸怀。
You have the ambition, you have the smarts and for sure you have the toughness.
你们有野心,你们有智慧而且你肯定有坚韧不拔毅力。
So, turn the page on your biography — you have just started a new chapter in your lives.
所以,请翻开自己的传记——你们已经打开了人生的新一个篇章。
Good luck and congratulations to you and your families. Thank you.
祝你们和你们的家人好运,也祝贺你们和你们的家人。谢谢