When you see the headlines in the Wall Street Journal of November this past year about "widespread fiscal and economic uncertainty, "
去年11月华尔街日报的头条也说 "遍布全国的财政和经济不确定性"
I remember the headline in April of '68, the same publication that said "US in worst fiscal crisis since 1931"
我记得68年4月这份报纸也说 "美国自1931年以来正经历最严重的财政危机"
My generation heard the same voices of doom and despair that your generation hears today.
我那一代人也同样听到了这些悲观和绝望的声音 同你们这一代人现如今一样
"American decline" "America's lost its way"
"美国衰落" "美国迷失方向"
"withered America" What those voices do not and did not understand.
"没落的美国" 这些声音并不明白的是
Is that in both instances -- yours and mine -- we graduated into a world that had changed.
不管是你们现在 还是我们当时 我们毕业后正踏入一个变化的世界
The world of William Butler Yeats Writing about his Ireland in a poem called "Easter Sunday 1916, " He said,
一个威廉.巴特勒.叶芝所描述的世界 在关于爱尔兰的诗歌《1916年复活节》中
"All has changed, changed utterly A terrible beauty is born"
他写道 "一切都变了 彻底变了" "惊世之美正在诞生"
Old answers, the policies of the previous generation that has served my generation so well.
旧的答案 前一代人的政策 很好地服务了我这一代
Have little applicability to the world into which I was graduating On the eve of my graduation, Dr. King had been assassinated.
却对我毕业后要前往的世界没有多少适用性 就在我毕业前夕 金牧师遇刺身亡