搜索

公众人物毕业演讲第303期:亚马逊创始人贝佐斯普林斯顿大学毕业演讲(2)

查看: 293.5k|回复: 0
  发表于 Apr 23, 2018 17:36:33 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
公众人物毕业演讲第303期:亚马逊创始人贝佐斯普林斯顿大学毕业演讲(2)
I have a vivid memory of what happened next, and it was not what I expected.
我清晰地记得接下来发生了什么,而那是我意料之外的。
I expected to be applauded for my cleverness and arithmetic skills.
我本期待着小聪明和算术技巧能赢得掌声。
"Jeff, you're so smart. You had to have made some tricky estimates, figure out the number of minutes in a year and do some division."
“Jeff,你太聪明了!你可以做这样复杂的估算,算出每年的分钟然后做除法。”
That's not what happened.
但那并没有发生。
Instead, my grandmother burst into tears.
相反,我的祖母哭泣起来。
I sat in the backseat and did not know what to do.
我坐在后座,不知道怎么办。
While my grandmother sat crying, my grandfather, who had been driving in silence, pulled over onto the shoulder of the highway.
在祖母哭泣的时候,我的祖父一直在默默开车,然后把车停在了路边。
He got out of the car and came around and opened my door and waited for me to follow.
走下车来,打开了我的车门,等着我跟他下车。
Was I in trouble?
我惹麻烦了吗?
My grandfather was a highly intelligent, quiet man.
我的祖父是一个智慧而安静的人。
He had never said a harsh word to me, and maybe this was to be the first time?
他从来没有对我说过严厉的话,难道这会是第一次?
Or maybe he would ask that I get back in the car and apologize to my grandmother.
还是他会让我回到车上跟祖母道歉?
I had no experience in this realm with my grandparents and no way to gauge what the consequences might be.
我以前从未遇到过这种状况,因而也无从知晓会有什么后果发生。
We stopped beside the trailer.
我们在房车旁停下来。
My grandfather looked at me, and after a bit of silence, he gently and calmly said, "Jeff, one day you'll understand that it's harder to be kind than clever."
祖父注视着我,沉默片刻,然后轻轻地、平静地说:“杰夫,有一天你会明白,善良比聪明更难。”
What I want to talk to you about today is the difference between gifts and choices.
今天我想对你们说的是,天赋和选择不同。
Cleverness is a gift, kindness is a choice.
聪明是一种天赋,而善良是一种选择。
Gifts are easy - they're given after all.
天赋得来很容易—毕竟它们与生俱来。
Choices can be hard.
而选择则颇为不易。
You can seduce yourself with your gifts if you're not careful, and if you do, it'll probably be to the detriment of your choices.
如果一不小心,你可能被天赋所诱惑,这可能会损害到你做出的选择。
This is a group with many gifts.
在座各位都拥有许多天赋。
I'm sure one of your gifts is the gift of a smart and capable brain.
我确信你们的天赋之一就是拥有精明能干的头脑。
I'm confident that's the case because admission is competitive and if there weren't some signs that you're clever, the dean of admission wouldn't have let you in.
之所以如此确信,是因为入学竞争十分激烈,如果你们不能表现出聪明智慧,便没有资格进入这所学校。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部