And after I had been with her for sometime, she started pointing to the roof top.
我同她相处了一段时间 她指向屋顶
She clearly wanted to go up and I realized the sun was going down
她显然是想上去 我意识到太阳就快下山
and what she wanted to do was go up on the roof top and see the sunset.
她肯定是想到屋顶看日落
The workers in this home for the dying were very busy.
垂死之家的义工都非常忙碌
I said to them can we take her up on the roof top?
我问他们能否帮忙把她抬上屋顶
And they said, "No. No. We have to pass out medicines."
他们说 "不行 我们还需要分发药物"
I waited that for that to happen and I asked another worker and they said
我等着他们做完 我又问了另一位义工
"No no no, we are too busy. We can't get her up there."
"不行不行 我们太忙了 没时间把她抬上去"
And so finally, I just scooped this woman up in my arms.
最后 我只能自己将这位女性用手搂起
She was nothing more than skin over bones
她几乎瘦得只剩皮包骨头了
and I took her up on the roof top
我将她搀扶到屋顶
and I found one of those plastic chairs that blows over in the light breeze
找了一张被人遗忘在微风中的塑料椅子
I put her there and sat her down
让她坐在椅子上
and put a blanket over her legs
用毛毯盖上她的双腿
and she sat there facing to the west, watching the sunset.
她坐在那里 面朝西方 静静地看着日落
The workers knew -- I made sure they knew that she was up there
我告诉义工们她在上面
so that they would bring her down after later that evening after the sun went down
让他们晚上日落后把她搬下来
and then I had to leave.
然后我不得不离开
But she never left me.
但对她的记忆却在心中挥之不去
I felt completely and totally inadequate in the face of this woman's death.
听到这位女性死去的消息 我觉得自己完全没做好心理准备
But sometimes, it's the people that you can't help that inspire you the most.
有时 正是那些你帮不了的人 对你心灵的震撼最大