Chapter 8 Treasure Island
第8章 金银岛
Next morning, there was no wind and we were half a mile from the eastern coast of the island.
第二天早晨,一丝风都没有,我们距离岛的东岸还有半英里。
Although the sun shone bright and hot, I hated the thought of Treasure Is-land,afraid of what would happen there.
尽管阳光灿烂而温暖,我却憎恨这个金银岛,害怕可能发生的一切。
Because there was no wind, the small boats pulled the ship three or four miles round the island, to a safe place to drop the anchor.
因为没有风,我们用小船拖着大船在岛的周围绕了三四英里,到一个安全的地方下锚。
I went in one of them.
我上了其中一只小船。
It was hard work pulling the ship, and the men argued.
用小船拖大船是件苦差事,大家都在抱怨。
Af-terwards, they sat around the deck, and the smallest order was received with an angry look.
然后,他们就坐在甲板上,哪怕一个小小的命令也会遭到白眼。
If I give another order,said the captain,the whole crew will mutiny.
如果我再下命令,船长说,所有的船员都会暴乱,
Only one man can help us.
只有一个人能帮我们。
And who is that?asked the squire.
谁?乡绅问。
Silver,replied the captain.He wants to keep things calm as much as we do;
西尔弗,船长回答。他也和我们一样想稳住局面,
he wants the men to wait.
他希望他的人不要轻易动手。
Let's allow them an afternoon on shore.
我建议下午让他们上岸去。
If they all go, we'll have the ship.
如果他们都去,我们就夺回船。
If some go, Silver will bring them back as gentle as sheep.
如果几个人去,西尔弗带他们回来的时候,他们会像绵羊一样听话。
关于《金银岛》史蒂文森是最多产的作家之一。他的浪漫冒险小说是自《沃尔特·斯科特爵士》问世以来英国最受公众喜爱的作品。