Having left Lestrade at his rooms, we drove to our hotel, where we found lunch upon the table.
我们让雷斯垂德在他的住处下车后,便回到了我们住的旅馆,我们到达旅馆时,午饭已经给我们摆在桌上了。
Holmes was silent and buried in thought with a pained expression upon his face,
福尔摩斯默不作声,陷于沉思之中,脸上露出一种痛苦的表情,
as one who finds himself in a perplexing position.
这是处境困惑的人的那种表情。
"Look here, Watson," he said when the cloth was cleared;
在餐桌已经收拾完毕之后,他说:"华生,你听我说,
"just sit down in this chair and let me preach to you for a little.
你就坐在这把椅子上,听我唠叨几句。
I don't know quite what to do, and I should value your advice.
我还不能十分肯定怎么办好,我想听听你的宝贵意见。
Light a cigar and let me expound." "Pray do so."
点根雪茄吧,让我阐述我的看法。""请说吧。"
"Well, now, in considering this case there are two points about young McCarthy's narrative which struck us both instantly,
"唔,在我们考虑这个案子的案情时,小麦卡锡所谈的情况中,有两点当时立即引起你我两人的注意,
although they impressed me in his favour and you against him.
尽管我的想法对他有利,而你的想法对他不利。
One was the fact that his father should, according to his account, cry 'Cooee!' before seeing him.
第一点是:据他的叙述,他的父亲在见到他之前就喊叫了"库伊"。
The other was his singular dying reference to a rat.
第二点是:死者临死时说了'拉特' 。
He mumbled several words, you understand, but that was all that caught the son's ear.
死者当时喃喃地吐露了几个词,但是,据他儿子说,听到只有这个词。
Now from this double point our research must commence,
我们必须从这两点出发去研究案情,
and we will begin it by presuming that what the lad says is absolutely true."
我们开始分析的时候不妨假定,这个小伙子所说的一切都是绝对真实的。"