"Our quest is practically finished. I shall call with the King to-morrow, and with you, if you care to come with us.
"我们的调查实际上已经完成了。明天我将同国王一块去拜访她。如果你愿意跟我们一起去的话,那你也去。
We will be shown into the sitting-room to wait for the lady,
有人会把我们引进起居室里候见那夫人;
but it is probable that when she comes she may find neither us nor the photograph.
但是恐怕她出来会客时,她既找不到我们,也找不到那照片了。
It might be a satisfaction to his Majesty to regain it with his own hands."
陛下能够亲手重新得到那张照片,一定是会非常满意的。"
"And when will you call?"
"那么你们什么时候去拜访她呢?"
"At eight in the morning. She will not be up, so that we shall have a clear field.
"早晨八点钟。趁她还没起床的时候,我们就可以放手干。
Besides, we must be prompt, for this marriage may mean a complete change in her life and habits.
此外,我们必须立即行动起来,因为结婚以后她的生活习惯可能完全变了。
I must wire to the King without delay."
我必须立即给国王打个电报。"
We had reached Baker Street and had stopped at the door.
这时我们已经走到贝克街,在门口停了下来。
He was searching his pockets for the key when someone passing said: "Good-night, Mister Sherlock Holmes."
正在他从口袋里掏钥匙的时候,有人路过这里,并打了个招呼:"晚安,福尔摩斯先生。"
There were several people on the pavement at the time,
这时在人行道上有好几个人。
but the greeting appeared to come from a slim youth in an ulster who had hurried by.
可是这句问候话好象是一个个子细长、身穿长外套的年轻人匆匆走过时说的。
"I've heard that voice before," said Holmes, staring down the dimly lit street.
"我以前听见过那声音,"福尔摩斯惊讶地凝视着昏暗的街道说,
"Now, I wonder who the deuce that could have been."
“可是我不知道和我打招呼的到底是谁。"