The Red-headed League
红发会
I had called upon my friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, one day in the autumn of last year
去年秋天的一天,我去拜访我的朋友歇洛克·福尔摩斯。
and found him in deep conversation with a very stout, florid-faced, elderly gentleman with fiery red hair.
我见到他时,他正在和一位身材矮胖、面色红润、头发火红的老先生深谈。
With an apology for my intrusion,
我为自己的唐突表示歉意。正
I was about to withdraw when Holmes pulled me abruptly into the room and closed the door behind me.
当我想退出来的时候,福尔摩斯出奇不意地一把将我拽住,把我拉进了房间里,随手把门关上。
"You could not possibly have come at a better time, my dear Watson," he said cordially.
他亲切地说:"我亲爱的华生,你这时候来真是再好不过了。"
"I was afraid that you were engaged."
"我怕你正忙着。"
"So I am. Very much so." "Then I can wait in the next room."
"是呀,我是很忙。""那么,我到隔壁房间等你。"
"Not at all. This gentleman, Mr. Wilson, has been my partner and helper in many of my most successful cases,
"不,不,威尔逊先生,这位先生是我的伙伴和助手,他协助我卓见成效地处理过许多案件。
and I have no doubt that he will be of the utmost use to me in yours also."
我毫不怀疑在处理你的案件时,他将同样给予我最大的帮助。"
The stout gentleman half rose from his chair and gave a bob of greeting,
那位身材矮胖的先生从他坐着的椅子里半站起来欠身向我点头致意,
with a quick little questioning glance from his small, fat-encircled eyes.
从他厚厚的眼皮下的小眼睛里迅速地掠过一线将信将疑的眼光。
"Try the settee," said Holmes, relapsing into his armchair and putting his finger-tips together,
"你坐在长靠背椅子上吧。"福尔摩斯说道,重新回到他那张扶手椅坐下,两手的手指尖合拢着。
as was his custom when in judicial moods.
这是他沉浸于思考问题时的习惯。
"I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and outside the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life.
"亲爱的华生,我知道,你和我一样,喜欢的不是日常生活中那些普通平凡、单调无聊的老套,而是稀奇古怪的东西。
You have shown your relish for it by the enthusiasm which has prompted you to chronicle,
你那么满腔热情地把这些东西都记录下来,可见你对它们很感兴趣。
and, if you will excuse my saying so, somewhat to embellish so many of my own little adventures."
如果你不介意的话,我要说,你这样做是为我自己的许多小小的冒险事业增添光彩。"
"Your cases have indeed been of the greatest interest to me," I observed.
我回答说:"我确实对你经手的案件非常感兴趣。"