搜索

红发会 第6期:奇怪的广告(1)

查看: 220.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:15:43 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
红发会 第6期:奇怪的广告(1)
"It is The Morning Chronicle of April 27, 1890. Just two months ago."
"这是一八九零年四月二十七日的《纪事年报》,正好是两个月以前的。"
"Very good. Now, Mr. Wilson?"
"很好。好了,威尔逊先生,请讲。"
"Well, it is just as I have been telling you, Mr. Sherlock Holmes," said Jabez Wilson, mopping his forehead;
"唔,歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生,就是我刚才对你说的,"杰贝兹一面用手拭他的前额一面说,
"I have a small pawnbroker's business at Coburg Square, near the City.
"我在市区附近的萨克斯·科伯格广场开了个小当铺。
It's not a very large affair, and of late years it has not done more than just give me a living.
那个买卖不大,近年来我只勉强靠它维持生活。
I used to be able to keep two assistants, but now I only keep one;
过去还有能力雇用两个伙计,但是,现在只雇一个。
and I would have a job to pay him but that he is willing to come for half wages so as to learn the business."
就这一伙计我也雇不起啊,如果不是他为学会做这个买卖自愿只拿一半工资的话。"
"What is the name of this obliging youth?" asked Sherlock Holmes.
歇洛克·福尔摩斯问道:"这位乐于助人的青年叫什么名字?"
"His name is Vincent Spaulding, and he's not such a youth, either. It's hard to say his age.
"他名叫文森特·斯波尔丁。其实他的年纪也不小了,只是到底多大我说不上。
I should not wish a smarter assistant, Mr. Holmes;
福尔摩斯先生,我这个伙计真精明强干。
and I know very well that he could better himself and earn twice what I am able to give him.
我很清楚,他本来可以生活得更好些,赚比我付给他多一倍的工资。
But, after all, if he is satisfied, why should I put ideas in his head?"
可是,不管怎么讲,既然他很满意,我又何必要劝他多长几个心眼呢?"
"Why, indeed? You seem most fortunate in having an employee who comes under the full market price.
"噢,真的?你能以低于市价的工钱雇到伙计,好象是最幸运不过的了。
It is not a common experience among employers in this age.
这在象你这样年纪的雇主当中,可不是平常的事啊。
I don't know that your assistant is not as remarkable as your advertisement."
我不知道你的伙计是不是和你的广告一样很不一般。"
"Oh, he has his faults, too," said Mr. Wilson. "Never was such a fellow for photography.
威尔逊先生说:"啊,他也有他的毛病。他比谁都爱照相。
Snapping away with a camera when he ought to be improving his mind,
他拿着照相机到处照,就是没有上进心。
and then diving down into the cellar like a rabbit into its hole to develop his pictures.
他一照完相就急急忙忙地跑到地下室去冲洗,快得象兔子钻洞一样。
That is his main fault, but on the whole he's a good worker. There's no vice in him."
这是他最大的毛病,但是,总的说来,他是个好工人,他没有坏心眼。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部