搜索

波希米亚丑闻 第26期:设计圈套(1)

查看: 303.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:15:50 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
波希米亚丑闻 第26期:设计圈套(1)
Irene Adler, as I will still call her, had hurried up the steps;
艾琳·艾德勒--我还愿意这么称呼她--急忙跑上台阶。
but she stood at the top with her superb figure outlined against the lights of the hall, looking back into the street.
但是她在最高一层台阶站住了,门厅里的灯光勾划出了她的极其优美的身材的轮廓。
"Is the poor gentleman much hurt?" she asked.
她回头朝街道问道:"那位可怜的先生伤得厉害吗?"
"He is dead," cried several voices. "No, no, there's life in him!" shouted another.
"他已经死啦,"几个声音一起喊道。"不,不,还活着呢,"另一声音高叫着,
"But he'll be gone before you can get him to hospital."
"但是等不到你们把他送进医院,他就会死去的。"
"He's a brave fellow," said a woman. "They would have had the lady's purse and watch if it hadn't been for him.
"他是个勇敢的人,"一个女人说道,“要不是他的话,那些流浪汉早就把夫人的钱包和表抢走了。
They were a gang, and a rough one, too. Ah, he's breathing now."
他们是一帮,而且是一帮粗暴的家伙。啊,他现在能呼吸了。"
"He can't lie in the street. May we bring him in, marm?"
"不能让他躺在街上。我们可以把他抬进屋子里去吗,夫人?"
"Surely. Bring him into the sitting-room. There is a comfortable sofa. This way, please!"
"当然可以。把他抬到起居室里去。那儿有一张舒服的沙发。请到这边来吧。"
Slowly and solemnly he was borne into Briony Lodge and laid out in the principal room,
大家缓慢而庄严地把他抬进布里翁尼府第,安置在正房里。
while I still observed the proceedings from my post by the window.
这时我由站在靠近窗口的地方一直在看着整个事情的经过。
The lamps had been lit, but the blinds had not been drawn,
灯都点燃了。可是窗帘没有拉上,
so that I could see Holmes as he lay upon the couch.
所以我可以看到福尔摩斯是怎样被安放在长沙发上的。
I do not know whether he was seized with compunction at that moment for the part he was playing,
当时他对他扮演的角色是否感到有些内疚我不知道,
but I know that I never felt more heartily ashamed of myself in my life
但是我却知道,我自己有生以来从未比看见
than when I saw the beautiful creature against whom I was conspiring, or the grace and kindliness with which she waited upon the injured man.
我所密谋反对的美人或者看到她服侍伤者的那种温雅和亲切的仪态更感到由衷的羞愧了。
And yet it would be the blackest treachery to Holmes to draw back now from the part which he had intrusted to me.
可是现在对福尔摩斯委托我扮演的角色半途甩手不干了,未免是一种对他最卑鄙的背叛。
I hardened my heart, and took the smoke-rocket from under my ulster.
我硬下心肠,从我的长外套里取出烟火筒。
After all, I thought, we are not injuring her. We are but preventing her from injuring another.
我想,我们毕竟不是伤害这美人,我们不过是不让她伤害别人罢了。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部