As the guard was a good two hundred paces away, however,
可是我们那里离着堡垒的中央足有二百多步,
and as the space between was cut up into a labyrinth of passages and corridors,
并且还要经过许多象迷宫似的曲折长廊和甬道。
I had great doubts as to whether they could arrive in time to be of any use in case of an actual attack.
我万分怀疑,在真的受到攻击的时候,救兵是否能及时赶到。
Well, I was pretty proud at having this small command given me, since I was a raw recruit, and a game-legged one at that.
我是一个新入伍的士兵,又是个残废人,当了个小头目,很是得意。
For two nights I kept the watch with my Punjabees.
头两夜我和我的两个来自旁遮普省的印度兵把守堡门。
They were tall, fierce-looking chaps, Mahomet Singh and Abdullah Khan by name,
他们的名字一个叫莫郝米特·辛格,一个叫爱勃德勒·克汗。他们全是个子高高、面貌凶恶的家伙,
both old fighting men, who had borne arms against us at Chilian Wallah.
久经战场,并且都曾在齐连瓦拉战役中和我们交过手。
They could talk English pretty well, but I could get little out of them.
他们虽然英语都说得很好,可是我并没有听到他们谈什么。
They preferred to stand together, and jabber all night in their queer Sikh lingo.
两人总是喜欢站在一起,整夜用古怪的锡克语嘀哩嘟噜地说个不停。
For myself, I used to stand outside the gateway,
我常是一个人站在堡门外,
looking down on the broad, winding river and on the twinkling lights of the great city.
向下望着那宽阔而弯曲的河流和那大城里闪烁的灯火。
The beating of drums, the rattle of tomtoms, and the yells and howls of the rebels, drunk with opium and with bang,
咚咚的鼓声和印度铜锣的声音,吸足了鸦片的叛军们的狂喊乱叫,
were enough to remind us all night of our dangerous neighbours across the stream.
整夜里都提醒着我们:河对面有着危险的邻人。
Every two hours the officer of the night used to come round to all the posts to make sure that all was well.
每隔两点钟就有值夜的军官到各岗哨巡查一次,以防意外。
The third night of my watch was dark and dirty, with a small driving rain.
值岗的第三夜,天空阴霾,小雨纷纷。
It was dreary work standing in the gateway hour after hour in such weather.
在这种天气里连续站几小时,确是苦恼得很。
I tried again and again to make my Sikhs talk, but without much success.
我又试着和那两个印度兵攀谈,他们还是不爱理我。