搜索

四签名 第102期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(12)

查看: 241.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:00 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第102期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(12)
'How can I decide? said I.'
我道:'叫我如何做决定?
'You have not told me what you want of me.
你们没有告诉我是怎么一回事。
But I tell you now that if it is anything against the safety of the fort I will have no truck with it,
可是我告诉你们,如果你们的谋划牵涉到碉堡的安全,我就不能同你们合谋,
so you can drive home your knife and welcome.'
干脆给我一刀,欢迎得很!'
'It is nothing against the fort,' said he.
他道:'这事和碉堡绝无关系,
'We only ask you to do that which your countrymen come to this land for. We ask you to be rich.
我只要你做一件事,就是和你们英国人到印度来所追求的目的相同的事情--我们叫你发财。
If you will be one of us this night, we will swear to you upon the naked knife,
今晚如果你决定和我们合作,我们就以这把刀庄严地对你起誓
and by the threefold oath which no Sikh was ever known to break,
从来没有一个锡克教徒违反过的一种誓言
that you shall have your fair share of the loot.
把得来的财物,公公平平地分给你一份。
A quarter of the treasure shall be yours. We can say no fairer.'
四分之一的宝物归你,不能再有比这样作法更公道的了。'
'But what is the treasure then?' I asked.
我问道:'什么宝物?
'I am as ready to be rich as you can be if you will but show me how it can be done.'
我愿意和你们一样发财,可是你得告诉我怎样办。'
'You will swear, then,' said he, 'by the bones of your father, by the honour of your mother, by the cross of your faith,
他道:'那么你起誓吗?用你父亲的身体,你母亲的名誉和你的宗教信仰起誓,
to raise no hand and speak no word against us, either now or afterwards?'
今后绝不作不利于我们的事,不说不利于我们的话。'
'I will swear it,' I answered, 'provided that the fort is not endangered.'
我答道:'只要碉堡不受威胁,我愿意这样起誓。'
'Then my comrade and I will swear that you shall have a quarter of the treasure which shall be equally divided among the four of us.'
那么我的同伙和我自己都起誓,给你宝物的四分之一。这就是说:咱们四个人,每人品均一份。'
'There are but three,' said I.
我道:'咱们只有三个人呀。'
'No. Dost Akbar must have his share. We can tell the tale to you while we wait them.
'不然。德斯特·阿克勃尔必须分一份。在等候他的时候,我可以告诉你这个秘密。
Do you stand at the gate, Mahomet Singh, and give notice of their coming.
莫郝米特·辛格请站在门外边,等他们来的时候通知我们。
The thing stands thus, sahib, and I tell it to you because I know that an oath is binding upon a Feringhee, and that we may trust you.
先生,事情是这样的,我知道欧洲人是守誓的人,所以我们信任你。
Had you been a lying Hindoo, though you had sworn by all the gods in their false temples,
你如果是个惯于说谎的印度人,无论你怎样向神假期誓,
your blood would have been upon the knife and your body in the water.
你的血必然已经染到我的刀上,你的尸体也就被扔到河里去了。
But the Sikh knows the Englishman, and the Englishman knows the Sikh. Hearken, then, to what I have to say.
可是我们信任英国人,英国人也信任我们,那么,听我来说吧。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部