搜索

四签名 第107期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(17)

查看: 254.7k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:06 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第107期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(17)
I could not trust myself to speak longer with the man.
我不敢再和他说下去了。
The more I looked at his fat, frightened face,
我愈看他那可怜的小胖脸,
the harder did it seem that we should slay him in cold blood. It was best to get it over.
我愈不忍狠心地把他杀死,不如干脆早点把他结果了。
'Take him to the main guard,' said I.
我道:'把他押到总部去。'
The two Sikhs closed in upon him on each side,
两个印度兵一左一右
and the giant walked behind, while they marched in through the dark gateway.
那个高个子跟在后面,带他进了黑黑的门道,
Never was a man so compassed round with death. I remained at the gateway with the lantern.
从来没有象这样四面被包围着、难逃活命的人,我提着灯独自留在门外。
I could hear the measured tramp of their footsteps sounding through the lonely corridors.
我听得见他们走在寂静的长廊上的脚步声。
Suddenly it ceased, and I heard voices and a scuffle, with the sound of blows.
忽然,声音停止了,接着就是格斗扭打的声音。
A moment later there came, to my horror, a rush of footsteps coming in my direction, with a loud breathing of a running man.
过了不久,忽然有人呼吸急促地向我奔跑而来,使我大吃一惊。
I turned my lantern down the long straight passage, and there was the fat man,
我举灯向门里仔细一看,原来是那个小胖子,
running like the wind, with a smear of blood across his face, and close at his heels,
满脸流血向前狂奔,那高个子拿着刀
bounding like a tiger, the great black-bearded Sikh, with a knife flashing in his hand.
像一只老虎似地紧紧追在后面。
I have never seen a man run so fast as that little merchant.
我从来没有看见过象这个商人跑得那样快的,
He was gaining on the Sikh, and I could see that if he once passed me and got to the open air he would save himself yet.
追的人眼看追不上了。我知道,如果他能越过我跑出门外,就很可能得救。
My heart softened to him, but again the thought of his treasure turned me hard and bitter.
我本已动了恻隐之心,想留他一命,可是想到宝物,便又硬起心肠。
I cast my firelock between his legs as he raced past, and he rolled twice over like a shot rabbit.
等他跑近,我就把我的明火枪向他的两腿之间抡了过去,他被绊得象被射中的兔子似地翻了两个滚。
Ere he could stagger to his feet the Sikh was upon him and buried his knife twice in his side.
还没等他爬起来,那印度兵就冲了上去,在他的肋旁扎了两刀。
The man never uttered moan nor moved muscle but lay where he had fallen.
他没有挣扎一下,也没有哼出一声,就躺在地下不动了。
I think myself that he may have broken his neck with the fall.
我想或者他在绊倒的时候就已经摔死了。
You see, gentlemen, that I am keeping my promise.
先生们,你们看,我遵守了承诺
I am telling you every word of the business just exactly as it happened, whether it is in my favour or not.
不管是否对我有利,我把经过都已从实招供了。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部