I think I must have been rather over-acting my delight,
我表示我的高兴大概有些过火,
and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations,
她已感觉到我的诚意不足。
for I saw her eyebrows rise a little, and she glanced at me curiously.
她稍稍抬了抬眼眉,望着我说道:
"If I have it," said she, "I owe it to you."
"如果我能得到宝物,那都是出于您的协助啊。"
"No, no," I answered, "not to me but to my friend Sherlock Holmes.
我答道:"不!不!您能有今日,完全是出于我的朋友歇洛克·福尔摩斯的协助。
With all the will in the world, I could never have followed up a clue which has taxed even his analytical genius.
就连他有那样分析的才能,为了破这个案子也费了不少精力,到最后还几乎失败。
As it was, we very nearly lost it at the last moment."
象我这样的人就是用尽心思,也是找不出线索来的。"
"Pray sit down and tell me all about it, Dr. Watson," said she.
她道:"华生医师,请坐下来告诉我这些经过吧。"
I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last.
我把上次和她见面以后所有发生过的事情简单地作了一番叙述。
Holmes's new method of search, the discovery of the Aurora, the appearance of Athelney Jones,
福尔摩斯新的搜寻方法,‘曙光' 号的发现,埃瑟尔尼·琼斯的来访,
our expedition in the evening, and the wild chase down the Thames.
今晚的探险和泰晤士河上的追踪
She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures.
微启的双唇和闪亮的眼睛,她倾听着我叙述我们的冒险。
When I spoke of the dart which had so narrowly missed us,
说到我们险些遭到毒刺的伤害时,
she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint.
她脸色变得惨白,似乎就要晕倒。
"It is nothing," she said as I hastened to pour her out some water.
我急斟了些水给她喝,她道:"不要紧,我已好了。
"I am all right again. It was a shock to me to hear that I had placed my friends in such horrible peril."
我听到我的朋友们为我遭到这样的危险,我心里实在是万分的不安。"