"The treasure is lost," said Miss Morstan calmly.
摩斯坦小姐平静地说道:"宝物已经丢失了。"
As I listened to the words and realized what they meant, a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul.
我听到她这句话,体会到了其中的含意。我灵魂中的一个阴影似在消失。
I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down until now that it was finally removed.
我说不出这宗阿格拉宝物压在我的心头是多么的沉重,现在终于被挪开了。
It was selfish, no doubt, disloyal, wrong,
不错,这个思想是自私的、不忠实的和错误的,
but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us.
可是除了我们两人之间的金钱的障碍已经消除以外,其余的我都想不到了。
"Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart.
我从内心里感到高兴,不免失声说道:"感谢上帝!"
She looked at me with a quick, questioning smile. "Why do you say that?" she asked.
她不理解地微笑着问我道:"您为什么这样说呢?"
"Because you are within my reach again," I said, taking her hand. She did not withdraw it.
我握住了她的手,她没有缩回去。我道:"因为我敢于张口了。
"Because I love you, Mary, as truly as ever a man loved a woman.
梅丽,我爱你,就如同任何男人爱女人那样的恳切。
Because this treasure, these riches, sealed my lips.
以前,这些宝物,这些财富堵住了我的嘴。
Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. That is why I said, 'Thank God.'"
现在宝物失掉了,我可以告诉你我是多么地爱你了。因此我才说:'感谢上帝。'"
"Then I say 'Thank God,' too," she whispered as I drew her to my side.
我把她揽到身边,她轻轻地说道:"那么我也应该说:'感谢上帝。'"
Whoever had lost a treasure, I knew that night that I had gained one.
不管谁丢失了宝物,我知道,那天晚上我却得到了一宗宝物。