As he spoke, there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs, a clatter of high voices,
说话间,楼梯上已有赤足而行和高声说话的声音。
and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street Arabs.
走进来十几个穿破衣服的街头小流浪者。
There was some show of discipline among them, despite their tumultuous entry,
他们虽然吵嚷着进来,可是他们中间却有些纪律。
for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces.
他们立刻站成一排,脸对着我们等待我们发言。
One of their number, taller and older than the others,
其中有一个年纪较大、好象是队长的站在前面,
stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow.
神奇十足,可是从他衣衫褴褛的情况看来却很滑稽可笑。
"Got your message, sir," said he, "and brought 'em on sharp. Three bob and a tanner for tickets."
"先生,接到您的命令以后,我立刻就带他们来了。车费三先令六便士。"
"Here you are," said Holmes, producing some silver.
福尔摩斯把钱给了他说道:“给你钱。
"In future they can report to you, Wiggins, and you to me.
我曾经告诉过你,维金斯,今后有事,你自己来。
I cannot have the house invaded in this way.
我的屋子容不下这么些人。
However, it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions.
可是,这一次全都来了也好,可以都听到我的命令。
I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora, owner Mordecai Smith,
我现在要寻找一只名叫'曙光'的汽船,船主叫茂迪凯·斯密司。
black with two red streaks, funnel black with a white band. She is down the river somewhere.
船身黑色有两条红线,黑烟囱上有一道白线,这只船在河的下游。
I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back.
我要一个孩子在密尔班克监狱对岸茂迪凯·斯密司的码头上守着。船一回来立即报告。
You must divide it out among yourselves and do both banks thoroughly.
你们必须分散在下游两岸,缜密地寻找,
Let me know the moment you have news. Is that all clear?"
一有消息,立刻来报。你们全都听明白了吗?"
"Yes, guv'nor," said Wiggins.
维金斯道:“是,司令,都听清楚了。"
"The old scale of pay, and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat.
"报酬还照以前的老例。找到船的另外多给一个畿尼,
Here's a day in advance. Now off you go!"
这是预付你们一天的工资,现在去吧!"
He handed them a shilling each, and away they buzzed down the stairs,
他给了每人一个先令。孩子们欢天喜地地下了楼,
and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street.
不一会,我就看见他们消失在马路中间了。
"If the launch is above water they will find her," said Holmes as he rose from the table and lit his pipe.
福尔摩斯离开桌子站了起来,点上了他的烟斗说道:“只要这只船还浮在水上,咱们就能找到它。
"They can go everywhere, see everything, overhear everyone.
他们可以到处跑,可以看到各色各样的事情,可以偷听任何人的谈话。
I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her.
我预计他们在黄昏前就可以有寻到汽船的消息来报告,
In the meanwhile, we can do nothing but await results.
这时咱们只好等待着无事可做了。
We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. Mordecai Smith."
在找到'曙光'号或茂迪凯·斯密司以前,咱们无法进行侦查。"
"Toby could eat these scraps, I dare say. Are you going to bed, Holmes?"
"透比吃咱们的剩饭就行了。福尔摩斯,你要睡一会儿吗?"
"No: I am not tired. I have a curious constitution.
"不,我不觉得疲倦。我的体质非常特别。
I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely.
工作的时候一点儿也不觉得累,如果闲着无事反而会使我委顿不堪了。
I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us.
我现在要吸烟了,细细地想一想我那女主顾委托咱们办的这件破事。
If ever man had an easy task, this of ours ought to be.
咱们这个问题,想来不难解决,
Wooden-legged men are not so common, but the other man must, I should think, be absolutely unique."
因为装木腿的人并不多见,另外那个人,更是绝无仅有的了。"
"That other man again!"
"你又提到那另外的一个人了。"
"I have no wish to make a mystery of him to you, anyway.
"至少我没有想向你保守秘密,
But you must have formed your own opinion. Now, do consider the data.
可是你也许有你的高见。现在考虑一下所有的情况:
Diminutive footmarks, toes never fettered by boots, naked feet,
小脚印、没有穿过鞋子的赤足、
stone-headed wooden mace, great agility, small poisoned darts. What do you make of all this?"
一端装着石头的木棒、灵敏的行动和有毒的木刺。你从这里得到什么结论呢?"