"Oh, come, now, come! Never be ashamed to own up. But what is all this?
"啊,算了吧!算了吧!用不着不好意思承认。可是这是怎么一回事?
Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here–no room for theories.
太糟糕了!太糟糕了!事实都摆在这里,不需要用理论来推测了。
How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case!
真是运气,我正为了别的案子来到诺伍德!
I was at the station when the message arrived. What d'you think the man died of?"
报案时我正在分署。您以为这个人是怎样死的呢?"
"Oh, this is hardly a case for me to theorize over," said Holmes dryly.
福尔摩斯冷冷地答道:"啊,这个案子似乎不需要我的理论。"
"No, no. Still, we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes.
"不需要,不需要。可是我们还不能不承认,您有时真能一言中的。
Dear me! Door locked, I understand. Jewels worth half a million missing. How was the window?"
可是据我了解,门是锁着的,五十万镑的宝物丢失啦。窗户的情形怎么样呢?"
"Fastened; but there are steps on the sill."
"关得很牢,不过窗台上有脚印。"
"Well, well, if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. That's common sense.
"好啦,好啦。如果窗户是关着的,这脚印就与本案无关了,这是常识。
Man might have died in a fit; but then the jewels are missing.
这个人也许是在盛怒之下死的,可是珠宝又遗失了。
Ha! I have a theory. These flashes come upon me at times.
哈!我有了一个解释。有时我也常能灵机一动呢。
Just step outside, Sergeant, and you, Mr. Sholto. Your friend can remain.
警长,你先出去,您,舒尔托先生,也出去,您的医生朋友可以留在这里。
What do you think of this, Holmes?
福尔摩斯先生,您想这是怎么一回事?
Sholto was, on his own confession, with his brother last night.
舒尔托他自己承认过昨晚和他哥哥在一起。
The brother died in a fit, on which Sholto walked off with the treasure? How's that?"
他哥哥是在盛怒之下死的,于是舒尔托就借机把珠宝拿走了。您看怎么样?"
"On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside."
"这个死人还很细心地起来把门倒锁上。"
"Hum! There's a flaw there. Let us apply common sense to the matter.
"哼!这里确实有个破绽。咱们根据常识来想想看。
This Thaddeus Sholto was with his brother; there was a quarrel: so much we know.
这个塞笛厄斯曾和他哥哥在一起,哥俩有过争吵,这是我们知道的。
The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. So much also we know.
哥哥死了,珠宝丢了,这个我们也是知道的。
No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him. His bed had not been slept in.
塞笛厄斯走后就再没有人看见过他哥哥了,他的床也没有人睡过,
Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. His appearance is –well, not attractive.
塞笛厄斯显然是万分的不安,他的情形也很不对头。
You see that I am weaving my web round Thaddeus. The net begins to close upon him."
您看我是在向塞笛厄斯四面夹攻,他也就难逃法网了。"
"You are not quite in possession of the facts yet," said Holmes.
福尔摩斯道:"您还没有知道全部的事实呢!
"This splinter of wood, which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned, was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark;
这个我有理由认为是有毒的木刺,是从死者的头皮上拿下来的,伤痕还可以看得出来。
this card, inscribed as you see it, was on the table, and beside it lay this rather curious stone- headed instrument.
这张纸,您看,是这样写的,是由桌上捡到的,一旁还有这根古怪的镶石头的木棒。
How does all that fit into your theory?"
这些东西您怎么把它适应到您的理论上去呢?"
"Confirms it in every respect," said the fat detective pompously. "House is full of Indian curiosities.
这个胖侦探神气活现地说道:"各方面都证实了。满屋全是印度古玩,
Thaddeus brought this up, and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man.
如果这个木刺有毒,旁人能利用它杀人,塞笛厄斯一样也能利用它来杀人,
The card is some hocus-pocus–a blind, as like as not.
这张纸不过是一种欺骗的戏法罢了,故弄玄虚。
The only question is, how did he depart? Ah, of course, here is a hole in the roof."
唯一的问题是:他是怎样出去的呢?啊!当然喽,这个房顶上有一个洞。"
With great activity, considering his bulk, he sprang up the steps and squeezed through into the garret,
他的身子笨重,费了很大片力才爬上了梯子,从洞口挤进了屋顶室。
and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trapdoor.
紧跟着我们就听见他高兴地喊着说他找到了通屋顶的暗门。
"He can find something," remarked Holmes, shrugging his shoulders; "he has occasional glimmerings of reason.
福尔摩斯耸了耸肩说道:"他有时也能发现些证据,有时也有些模模糊糊的认识。