搜索

四签名 第29期:樱沼别墅的惨案(4)

查看: 348.5k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:58 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第29期:樱沼别墅的惨案(4)
We all followed him into the housekeeper's room, which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage.
我们随着他走进甬道左边女管家的屋子里。
The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless, picking fingers,
这个老太太正在惊魂不定地在屋里踱来踱去,
but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her.
可是一看见摩斯坦小姐就好象得到了安慰似的。
"God bless your sweet, calm face!" she cried with a hysterical sob.
她感情激动地向摩斯坦小姐哭诉道:"老天爷,看您这副温柔安静的脸多好!
"It does me good to see you. Oh, but I have been sorely tried this day!"
看见了您,我觉得好多了!我这一天呀,真是够受的!"
Our companion patted her thin, work-worn hand and murmured some few words of kindly,
我的同伴轻轻地抚拍着她的皱手,低声地说了几句温柔的、安慰她的话。
womanly comfort which brought the colour back into the other's bloodless cheeks.
老太太苍白的脸渐渐地恢复过来了。
"Master has locked himself in and will not answer me," she explained.
她解释道:"主人自己锁上房门也不和我答话,
"All day I have waited to hear from him,
一整天我在这里等他叫唤。
for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss,
他倒是常常喜欢一个人呆着,可是一个钟头以前,我恐怕出事,
so I went up and peeped through the keyhole.
我上楼从钥匙孔往里偷看了看。
You must go up, Mr. Thaddeus–you must go up and look for yourself.
您一定要上去一趟,塞笛厄斯先生,您一定要自己去看一看!
I have seen Mr. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years,
十年来,无论是巴索洛谬先生喜欢的时候还是悲痛的时候,我都看见过,
but I never saw him with such a face on him as that."
可是我从来没有看见过象他现在这副面孔。"
Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way, for Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head.
歇洛克·福尔摩斯提着灯在前引路,塞笛厄斯吓得牙齿相击
So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs, for his knees were trembling under him.
两腿哆嗦,亏得我搀扶着他,才一同上了楼。
Twice as we ascended, Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket
福尔摩斯在上楼时,两次从口袋里拿出放大镜,
and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoanut-matting which served as a stair-carpet.
小心地验看那些留在楼梯棕毯上的泥印。
He walked slowly from step to step, holding the lamp low, and shooting keen glances to right and left.
他慢慢地一级一级地走上去,低低地提着灯,左右地细细观察。
Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper.
摩斯坦小姐留在楼下,和惊恐的女管家做伴。
The third flight of stairs ended in a straight passage of some length,
上了三节楼梯,前面就是一条相当长的甬道,
with a great picture in Indian tapestry upon the right of it and three doors upon the left.
右面墙上悬挂着一幅印度挂毯,左边有三个门。
Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way,
福尔摩斯仍旧一边慢走一边有系统地观察着。
while we kept close at his heels, with our long black shadows streaming backward down the corridor.
我们紧随在后面,我们的长长的影子投在身后的甬道上。
The third door was that which we were seeking.
第三个门就是我们的目的地了。
Holmes knocked without receiving any answer, and then tried to turn the handle and force it open.
福尔摩斯用力敲门,里面没有回应;他又旋转门钮,用力推门,也推不开。
It was locked on the inside, however, and by a broad and powerful bolt, as we could see when we set our lamp up against it.
我们把灯贴近了门缝,可以看见里面是用很粗的门锁倒闩着的。
The key being turned, however, the hole was not entirely closed.
钥匙已经过扭转,所以钥匙孔没有整个地被封闭起来。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部