搜索

四签名 第27期:樱沼别墅的惨案(2)

查看: 307.3k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:16:59 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第27期:樱沼别墅的惨案(2)
Inside, a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house, square and prosaic,
进门就是一条铺石子的小路,曲折穿过一块荒凉的空地,直通到隐在丛树里的一所外形方整而构造平常的大房子
all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window.
。枝叶遮蔽得异常阴森,只有一缕月光照到房子的一角,照在顶楼上面的窗上。
The vast size of the building, with its gloom and its deathly silence, struck a chill to the heart.
这样大的房子,阴惨沉寂到使人不寒而栗,
Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease, and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand.
就连塞笛厄斯·舒尔托也有些局促不安起来,所提的灯在他手里颤动得发出了响声。
"I cannot understand it," he said. "There must be some mistake.
他道:"我实在不明白,这里一定出了事。
I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here, and yet there is no light in his window.
我明明告诉过巴索洛谬,咱们今天晚上来,可是他的窗户连灯亮都没有。
I do not know what to make of it."
我真不懂这是怎么一回事!"
"Does he always guard the premises in this way?" asked Holmes.
福尔摩斯问道:"他平日就这样地戒备吗?"
"Yes; he has followed my father's custom.
"是的,他沿袭了我父亲的习惯。
He was the favourite son you know, and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me.
您知道,他是我父亲的爱子,我有时还想,我父亲告诉他的话比告诉我的多。
That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes.
那被月光照着的就是巴索洛谬的窗户。
It is quite bright, but there is no light from within, I think."
窗户被月光照得很亮,可是我想里边没有灯光。"
"None," said Holmes. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door."
福尔摩斯道:"里边是没有灯光,可是在门旁那个小窗里有闪亮的灯光。"
"Ah, that is the housekeeper's room. That is where old Mrs. Bernstone sits. She can tell us all about it.
"啊,那是女管家的房间。那就是博恩斯通老太太屋的灯光。她会把一切情况告诉咱们。
But perhaps you would not mind waiting here for a minute or two,
请你们在此稍候一下,
for if we all go in together, and she has had no word of our coming, she may be alarmed.
因为她事先不知道,如果咱们一同进去,也许她会觉得奇怪。
But, hush! what is that?"
可是,嘘!那是什么?"
He held up the lantern, and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us.
他把灯高高举起,手抖得使灯光摇摇不定。
Miss Morstan seized my wrist, and we all stood, with thumping hearts, straining our ears.
摩斯坦小姐紧握着我的手腕,我们极其紧张地站在那里,心跳得普通普通地侧耳倾听着。
From the great black house there sounded through the silent night
深夜里,从这所巨大漆黑的房子里
the saddest and most pitiful of sounds--the shrill, broken whimpering of a frightened woman.
不断地发出一阵阵凄惨恐怖的女人喊叫的声音。
"It is Mrs. Bernstone," said Sholto. "She is the only woman in the house.
塞笛厄斯说道:"这是博恩斯通太太的声音,这所房子里只有她一个女人。
Wait here. I shall be back in a moment."
请等在这里,我马上就回来。"
He hurried for the door and knocked in his peculiar way.
他赶紧跑到门前,用他习惯的方法敲了两下。
We could see a tall old woman admit him and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him.
我们看见有一个身材高高的妇人,好象见了亲人一般地请他进去了。
"Oh, Mr. Thaddeus, sir, I am so glad you have come!
"哦,塞笛厄斯先生,您来得太好啦!
I am so glad you have come, Mr. Thaddeus, sir!"
您来得太巧啦!哦,塞笛厄斯先生!"
We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone.
这些喜出望外的话,一直等到门关上以后,还能隐约听到。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部