搜索

血字的研究 第89期:案情回顾(11)

查看: 163.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:06 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第89期:案情回顾(11)
"I have little more to say, and it's as well, for I am about done up.
"我还有几句话要说,说完了也好,因为我也快完了。
I went on cabbing it for a day or so,
事后我又赶了一两天马车,
intending to keep at it until I could save enough to take me back to America.
因为我想加把劲干下去,积蓄起足够的路费,好回美洲去。
I was standing in the yard when a ragged youngster asked if there was a cabby there called Jefferson Hope,
那天,我正停车在广场上的时候,忽然有一个破衣褴衫的少年打听是否有个叫杰弗逊·侯波的车夫,
and said that his cab was wanted by a gentleman at 221B, Baker Street.
他说,贝克街221号乙有位先生要雇他的车子。
I went round suspecting no harm, and the next thing I knew,
我一点也没有怀疑就跟着来了。以后我所知道的事,
this young man here had the bracelets on my wrists, and as neatly shackled as ever I saw in my life.
就是这位年轻人用手铐轻轻地就把我的两只手给铐上了,铐的那么干净利落,倒是我生平少见的。
That's the whole of my story, gentlemen.
诸位先生,这就是我的全部经历。
You may consider me to be a murderer; but I hold that I am just as much an officer of justice as you are."
你们可以认为我是一个凶手,但是,我自己却认为我跟你们一样,是一个执法的法官。"
So thrilling had the man's narrative been and his manner was so impressive that we had sat silent and absorbed.
他的故事讲得这样惊心动魄,他的态度给人的印象又是这样深刻,因此我们都静悄悄地听得出神。
Even the professional detectives, blase as they were in every detail of crime,
甚至连这两位久经阅历的职业侦探,
appeared to be keenly interested in the man's story.
也都听得津津有味。
When he finished, we sat for some minutes in a stillness
他讲完了以后,我们都不声不响地坐在那里,沉默了一会儿,
which was only broken by the scratching of Lestrade's pencil as he gave the finishing touches to his shorthand account.
只有雷斯垂德速记供词的最后几行时,铅笔落纸的沙沙声音,打破了室内的寂静。
"There is only one point on which I should like a little more information," Sherlock Holmes said at last.
福尔摩斯最后说道:"还有一点,我希望多知道一些。
"Who was your accomplice who came for the ring which I advertised?"
我登广告以后,前来领取指环的你的那个同党究竟是谁?"
The prisoner winked at my friend jocosely.
这个罪犯顽皮地对我的朋友挤了挤眼睛说:
"I can tell my own secrets," he said, "but I don't get other people into trouble.
"我只能供出我自己的秘密。但是,我不愿牵连别人。
I saw your advertisement, and I thought it might be a plant, or it might be the ring which I wanted.
我看到你的广告以后,我也想到这也许是个圈套,但也可能真是我所需要的那只指环。
My friend volunteered to go and see. I think you'll own he did it smartly."
我的朋友自告奋勇愿意来瞧一瞧。我想,你一定会承认,这件事他办得很漂亮吧。"
"Not a doubt of that," said Holmes, heartily.
"一点也不错。"福尔摩斯老老实实地说。
"Now, gentlemen," the inspector remarked gravely, "the forms of the law must be complied with.
这时警官正颜厉色地说道:"那么,诸位先生,法律手续必须遵守。
On Thursday the prisoner will be brought before the magistrates, and your attendance will be required.
本星期四,这个罪犯将要提交法庭审讯,诸位先生届时要出席。
Until then I will be responsible for him."
开庭以前,他交由我负责。"
He rang the bell as he spoke, and Jefferson Hope was led off by a couple of warders,
说时,就按了一下铃,于是杰弗逊·侯波就被两个看守带走了。
while my friend and I made our way out of the station and took a cab back to Baker Street.
我的朋友和我也就离开了警察局,坐上马车回贝克街去了。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部