搜索

血字的研究 第93期:尾声(4)

查看: 498.1k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:07 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第93期:尾声(4)
When the ring was found, however, it settled the question.
等到发现指环以后,问题就算确定了。
Clearly the murderer had used it to remind his victim of some dead or absent woman.
很明显,凶手曾经利用这只指环使被害者回忆起某个已死的、或者是不在场的女人。
It was at this point that I asked Gregson
关于这一点,我曾经问过葛莱森,
whether he had inquired in his telegram to Cleveland as to any particular point in Mr. Drebber's former career.
在他拍往克利夫兰的电报中,是否问到锥伯过去的经历中有过任何突出的问题没有。
He answered, you remember, in the negative.
你还可以记得,他当时回答说他没有问题。
"I then proceeded to make a careful examination of the room,
"以后,我就开始把这间屋子进行了一番仔细的检查。
which confirmed me in my opinion as to the murderer's height,
检查结果,使我肯定认为凶手是个高个子,
and furnished me with the additional details as to the Trichinopoly cigar and the length of his nails.
并且还发现了其他一些细节:例如印度雪茄烟,凶手的长指甲等等。
I had already come to the conclusion, since there were no signs of a struggle,
因为屋中并没有揪打的迹象,因此当时又得出了这样的一个结论:
that the blood which covered the floor had burst from the murderer's nose in his excitement.
地板上的血迹是凶手在他激动的时候流的鼻血。
I could perceive that the track of blood coincided with the track of his feet.
我发觉,凡是有血迹的地方,就有他的足迹。
It is seldom that any man, unless he is very full-blooded, breaks out in this way through emotion,
除非是个血液旺盛的人,一般很少有人会在感情激动时这样大量流血的。
so I hazarded the opinion that the criminal was probably a robust and ruddy- faced man.
所以,我就大胆地认为,这个罪犯可能是个身强力壮的赤面人。
Events proved that I had judged correctly.
后来事实果然证明了,我的判断是正确的。
"Having left the house, I proceeded to do what Gregson had neglected.
"离开屋子以后,我就去做葛莱森疏忽未做的事了。
I telegraphed to the head of the police at Cleveland,
我给克利夫兰警察局长拍了一个电报,
limiting my inquiry to the circumstances connected with the marriage of Enoch Drebber.
仅仅询问有关伊瑙克·锥伯的婚姻问题,
The answer was conclusive.
回电很明确。
It told me that Drebber had already applied for the protection of the law against an old rival in love, named Jefferson Hope,
电报中说,锥伯曾经指控过一个叫做杰弗逊·侯波的旧日情敌,并且请求过法律保护,
and that this same Hope was at present in Europe.
这个侯波目前正在欧洲。
I knew now that I held the clue to the mystery in my hand,
我当时就知道了,我已经掌握了这个秘密案件的线索了。
and all that remained was to secure the murderer.
剩下要做的就只是稳稳地捉住凶手了。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部