搜索

四签名 第2期:演绎法的研究(2)

查看: 222.3k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:11 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第2期:演绎法的研究(2)
"No, indeed," I answered brusquely.
我毫不客气地回答道:"我不要试。
"My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet.
阿富汗的战役害得我的体质至今没有恢复。
I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it."
我再不能摧残它了。"
He smiled at my vehemence. "Perhaps you are right, Watson," he said.
他对我的恼怒,含笑答道:"华生,也许你是对的。
"I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one.
我也知道这对于身体是有害的,
I find it, however, so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind
不过我感觉它既有这样强烈的兴奋和醒脑的能力,
that its secondary action is a matter of small moment."
它的副作用也就没有什么重要了。"
"But consider!" I said earnestly. "Count the cost!
我诚恳地说道:"可是你也考虑考虑利害得失吧!
Your brain may, as you say, be roused and excited,
你的脑筋也许象你所说的那样,能够因刺激而兴奋起来,
but it is a pathological and morbid process which involves increased tissue-change
然而这究竟是戕害自身的作法。它会引起不断加剧的器官组织变质,
and may at least leave a permanent weakness.
否则至少也会导致长期衰弱,
You know, too, what a black reaction comes upon you.
你也知道这种药所能引起的不良反应,
Surely the game is hardly worth the candle.
实在是得不偿失。
Why should you, for a mere passing pleasure,
你为什么只顾一时的快感,
risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed?
戕害你那天赋的卓越过人的精力呢?
Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another
你应当知道,我这不仅是从朋友的立场出发,
but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable."
而且还是作为一个对你的健康负责的医生而说的话。"
He did not seem offended.
看来,他听了不仅没有生气,
On the contrary, he put his finger-tips together,
反而把十指对顶在一起,
and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair, like one who has a relish for conversation.
把两肘安放在椅子的扶手上,象是对谈话颇感兴趣的样子。
"My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation.
他道:"我好动不好静
Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram,
给我难题,给我工作,给我最深奥的密码,
or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere.
这样我才觉得最舒适,给我最复杂的分析工作,
I can dispense then with artificial stimulants.
才不需要人为的刺激。
But I abhor the dull routine of existence.
我非常憎恶平淡的生活,
I crave for mental exaltation.
我追求精神上的兴奋,
That is why I have chosen my own particular profession,
因此我选择了我自己的特殊职业
or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world."
也可以说是我创造了这个职业,因为我是世界上唯一从事这种职业的人。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部