"This is unworthy of you, Holmes," I said.
我道:"福尔摩斯,这就是你的不对了。
"I could not have believed that you would have descended to this.
我真无法相信,你竟然会耍出这么一套来,
You have made inquiries into the history of my unhappy brother,
你一定预先访察了我哥哥的惨史,
and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way.
现在假装用一些玄妙的方法,推断出来这些事实。
You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch!
你想我会相信你从这只旧表上就能够发现这些事实吗?
It is unkind and, to speak plainly, has a touch of charlatanism in it."
不客气地说,你这些话简直是有些骗人。"
"My dear doctor," said he kindly, "pray accept my apologies.
他和蔼地答道:"亲爱的医师,请你宽恕我。
Viewing the matter as an abstract problem, I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you.
我按着理论来推断一个问题,却忘了这可能对你是一件痛苦的事情。
I assure you, however, that I never even knew that you had a brother until you handed me the watch."
我向你保证,在你给我观察这只表以前,我并不知道你还有一位哥哥呢。"
"Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts?
"可是你怎么能这样神妙地推测出这些事实来呢?
They are absolutely correct in every particular."
你所说的没有一样不是与事实相符的。"
"Ah, that is good luck. I could only say what was the balance of probability.
"啊!这还算侥幸,我只是说出一些可能的情况,
I did not at all expect to be so accurate."
并没想到会这样正确。"
"But it was not mere guesswork?"
"那么你并不是猜想出来的了?"
"No, no: I never guess. It is a shocking habit–destructive to the logical faculty.
"对,对,我向来不猜想。猜想是很不好的习惯,它有害于作逻辑的推理。
What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought
你所以觉得奇怪,是因为你没有了解我的思路,
or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend.
没有注意到往往能推断出大事来的那些细小问题。