Chapter 2 THE STATEMENT OF THE CASE
第二章 案情的陈述
Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner.
摩斯坦小姐以稳重的步履、沉着的姿态走进屋来。
She was a blonde young lady, small, dainty, well gloved, and dressed in the most perfect taste.
她是一个浅发女郎,体态轻盈,戴看颜色调和的手套,穿着最合乎她风度的衣服。
There was, however, a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means.
因为她衣服的简单素雅,说明了她是一个生活不太优裕的人。
The dress was a sombre grayish beige, untrimmed and unbraided,
她的衣服是暗褐色毛呢料的,没有花边和装饰,
and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue, relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side.
配着一顶同样暗色的帽子,边缘上插着一根白色的翎毛。
Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion,
面貌虽不美丽,
but her expression was sweet and amiable, and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic.
但是丰采却很温柔可爱,一双蔚蓝的大眼睛,饱满有神,富有情感。
In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents,
就我所见到过的女人,远到数十国和三大洲,
I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature.
但是从来没有见过一副这样高雅和聪敏的面容。
I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her,
当福尔摩斯请她坐下的时候,
her lip trembled, her hand quivered, and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation.
我看见她嘴唇微动,两手颤抖,显示出紧张的情绪和内心的不安。
"I have come to you, Mr. Holmes," she said,
她说:"福尔摩斯先生,我所以来这里请教,
"because you once enabled my employer, Mrs. Cecil Forrester, to unravel a little domestic complication.
是因为您曾经为我的女主人西色尔·弗里斯特夫人解决过一桩家庭纠纷。
She was much impressed by your kindness and skill."
她对您的协助和本领是很感激和钦佩的。"
"Mrs. Cecil Forrester," he repeated thoughtfully. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her.
他想了一想答道:"西色尔·弗里斯特夫人呀,我记得对她有过小小的帮忙。
The case, however, as I remember it, was a very simple one."
那一件案子,我记得是很简单的。"
"She did not think so. But at least you cannot say the same of mine.
"她并不认为简单。最低限度,我所请教的案子您不能同样也说是简单的了。
I can hardly imagine anything more strange, more utterly inexplicable, than the situation in which I find myself."
我想再也没有任何事情比我的处境更离奇费解了。"
Holmes rubbed his hands, and his eyes glistened.
福尔摩斯搓着他的双手,目光炯炯。
He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut, hawklike features.
他从椅子上微微倾身向前,在他那清秀而象鹞鹰的脸上现出了精神极端集中的样子。
"State your case," said he in brisk business tones. I felt that my position was an embarrassing one.
"说一说您的案情吧。"他以精神勃勃而又郑重其事的语调说道。
"You will, I am sure, excuse me," I said, rising from my chair.
我觉得在此有些不便,因而站起来说道:"请原谅我,失陪了。"
To my surprise, the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me.
没想到这位年轻姑娘伸出她戴着手套的手止住了我,
"If your friend," she said, "would be good enough to stop, he might be of inestimable service to me."
说道:"您如肯稍坐一会儿,或者可以给我很大帮助呢。"
I relapsed into my chair.
我因此重新坐下。