搜索

四签名 第11期:案情的陈述(3)

查看: 468.8k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:13 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
四签名 第11期:案情的陈述(3)
"A singular case," remarked Holmes.
福尔摩斯道:"真是怪事。"
"I have not yet described to you the most singular part.
"我还没有谈到最奇怪的事呢。
About six years ago, to be exact, upon the fourth of May, 1882
大约六年前,准确日期是一八八二年五月四日
an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan,
在《泰晤士报》上发现了一则广告,征询梅丽·摩斯坦小姐的住址,
and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward.
并说如果她回答的话,是对她有利的,
There was no name or address appended.
广告下面没有署名和地址。
I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess.
那时我刚到西色尔·弗里斯特夫人那里充当家庭教师。
By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column.
我和她商量以后,在报纸广告栏里登出了我的住址。
The same day there arrived through the post a small cardboard box addressed to me,
当天就有人从邮局寄给我一个小纸盒,
which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl.
里面装着一颗很大的光泽炫耀的珠子,
No word of writing was enclosed.
盒子里没有一个字。
Since then every year upon the same date there has always appeared a similar box, containing a similar pearl, without any clue as to the sender.
从此以后,每年到了同一日期总要接到一个相同的纸盒,里面装有一颗同样的珠子,没有能找到寄者的任何的线索。
They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value.
这些珠子经过内行人看过,说是稀有之宝,价值很高。
You can see for yourself that they are very handsome."
你们请看这些珠子,实在很好。"
She opened a flat box as she spoke and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen.
她说着就打开了一个扁平的盒子,我看见了生气从未见过的六颗上等珍珠。
"Your statement is most interesting," said Sherlock Holmes. "Has anything else occurred to you?"
福尔摩斯道:"您所说的极为有趣,另外还有别的情况吗?"
"Yes, and no later than to-day. That is why I have come to you.
"有的,这就是我来向您请教的原因。
This morning I received this letter, which you will perhaps read for yourself."
今天早上我又接到了这封信,请您自己看一看。"
"Thank you," said Holmes. "The envelope, too, please.
福尔摩斯道:"谢谢您,请您把信封也给我。
Post-mark, London, S. W. Date, July 7.
邮戳,伦敦西南区,日期,九月七日。
Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner–probably postman. Best quality paper.
啊!角上有一个大拇指印,可能是邮递员的。纸非常好,
Envelopes at sixpence a packet. Particular man in his stationery. No address.
信封值六便士一扎,写信人对信纸信封很考究,没有发信人的地址。
"Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to-night at seven o'clock.
'今晚平时请到莱西厄姆剧院外左边第三个柱子前候我。
If you are distrustful bring two friends. You are a wronged woman and shall have justice.
您如怀疑,请偕友二人同来。您是被委曲的女子,定将得到公道。
Do not bring police. If you do, all will be in vain. Your unknown friend.
不要带警察来,带来就不能相见。您的不知名的朋友。'
Well, really, this is a very pretty little mystery! What do you intend to do, Miss Morstan?"
这真是一件好玩的玄秘的事情,摩斯坦小姐,您准备怎么办呢?"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部