搜索

血字的研究 第28期:广告引来了不速之客(4)

查看: 72.2k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:49 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第28期:广告引来了不速之客(4)
I glanced at my companion,
我看了我的伙伴一眼,
and his face had assumed such a disconsolate expression that it was all I could do to keep my countenance.
只见他显得怏怏不乐,我也只好装出一副泰然自若的神气来。
The old crone drew out an evening paper, and pointed at our advertisement.
这个老太婆掏出一张晚报,用手指着我们登的那个广告说:
"It's this as has brought me, good gentlemen," she said, dropping another curtsey;
"我是为这件事来的,先生们,"说着,她又深深施了一礼,
"a gold wedding ring in the Brixton Road.
"广告上说,在布瑞克斯顿路拾得一个结婚金戒指。
It belongs to my girl Sally, as was married only this time twelvemonth,
这是我女儿赛莉的,她是去年这个时候才结的婚,
which her husband is steward aboard a Union boat,
她的丈夫在一只英国船上当会计。
and what he'd say if he comes 'ome and found her without her ring is more than I can think,
如果他回来时,发现她的戒指没有了,谁会知道他要怎么样呢。我简直不敢想。
he being short enough at the best o' times,
他这个人品常就性子急,
but more especially when he has the drink.
喝了点酒以后,就更加暴躁了。
If it please you, she went to the circus last night along with– –"
对不起,是这么回事,昨天晚上她去看马戏,是和——"
"Is that her ring?" I asked.
"这是她的戒指吗?"我问道。
"The Lord be thanked!" cried the old woman;
老太婆叫了起来:"谢天谢地!
"Sally will be a glad woman this night. That's the ring."
赛莉今天晚上可要开心死了。这正是她丢的那个戒指。"
"And what may your address be?" I inquired, taking up a pencil.
我拿起一支铅笔问道:"您住在哪儿?"
"13, Duncan Street, Houndsditch. A weary way from here."
"宏兹迪池区,邓肯街13号。离这儿老远呢。"
"The Brixton Road does not lie between any circus and Houndsditch," said Sherlock Holmes sharply.
福尔摩斯突然说:"布瑞克斯顿路并不在宏兹迪池区和什么马戏团之间呀。"
The old woman faced round and looked keenly at him from her little red-rimmed eyes.
老太婆转过脸去,一双小红眼锐利地瞧了福尔摩斯一下,
"The gentleman asked me for my address," she said.
她说:"那位先生刚才是问我的住址。
"Sally lives in lodgings at 3, Mayfield Place, Peckham."
赛莉住在培克罕区,梅菲尔德公寓3号。"
"And your name is– –?"
"贵姓是--?"
"My name is Sawyer–hers is Dennis,
"我姓索叶,我的女儿姓丹尼斯,
which Tom Dennis married her–and a smart, clean lad, too, as long as he's at sea,
他的丈夫叫汤姆·丹尼斯。他在船上真是一个又漂亮又正直的小伙子,
and no steward in the company more thought of;
是公司里提得起来的会计;
but when on shore, what with the women and what with liquor shops– –"
可是一上岸,又玩女人,又喝酒——"
"Here is your ring, Mrs. Sawyer," I interrupted, in obedience to a sign from my companion;
"这是你的戒指,索叶太太,"我遵照着我伙伴的暗示打断了她的话头说,
"it clearly belongs to your daughter, and I am glad to be able to restore it to the rightful owner."
"这个戒指显然是你女儿的。我很高兴,现在物归原主了。"
With many mumbled blessings and protestations of gratitude the old crone packed it away in her pocket,
这个老太婆嘟嘟囔囔地说了千恩万谢的话以后,把戒指包好,放入衣袋,
and shuffled off down the stairs.
然后拖拖拉拉地走下楼去。
Sherlock Holmes sprang to his feet the moment that she was gone and rushed into his room.
她刚出房门,福尔摩斯立刻站起,跑进他的屋中去。
He returned in a few seconds enveloped in an ulster and a cravat.
几秒钟以后,他走了出来,已然穿上大衣,系好围巾。
"I'll follow her," he said, hurriedly;
福尔摩斯匆忙中说:"我要跟着她。
"she must be an accomplice, and will lead me to him. Wait up for me."
她一定是个同党,她会把我带到凶犯那里去。别睡,等着我。"
The hall door had hardly slammed behind our visitor before Holmes had descended the stair.
客人出去时大门刚刚砰地一声关好,福尔摩斯就下了楼。
Looking through the window I could see her walking feebly along the other side,
我从窗子向外看去,只见那个老太婆有气无力地在马路那边走着,
while her pursuer dogged her some little distance behind.
福尔摩斯在她的后边不远处尾随着。
"Either his whole theory is incorrect," I thought to myself,
这时,我心里想:福尔摩斯的全部看法假如不错的话,
"or else he will be led now to the heart of the mystery."
他现在就要直捣虎穴了。
There was no need for him to ask me to wait up for him,
他用不着告诉我等着他,
for I felt that sleep was impossible until I heard the result of his adventure.
因为在我没有听到他冒险的结果以前,要想睡觉是绝不可能的事。
It was close upon nine when he set out.
福尔摩斯出门的时候将近九点钟。
I had no idea how long he might be,
我不知道他要去多久,
but I sat stolidly puffing at my pipe and skipping over the pages of Henri Murger's Vie de Boheme.
只好呆坐在房里抽着烟斗,翻阅一本昂利·穆尔杰的《波亥米传》。
Ten o'clock passed, and I heard the footsteps of the maid as she pattered off to bed.
十点过后,我听见女佣人回房睡觉去的脚步声。
Eleven, and the more stately tread of the landlady passed my door, bound for the same destination.
十一点钟,房东太太的沉重脚步声从房门前走过,她也是回房去睡觉的

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部