搜索

血字的研究 第3期:福尔摩斯先生(3)

查看: 388.8k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 09:17:54 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
血字的研究 第3期:福尔摩斯先生(3)
As we made our way to the hospital after leaving the Holborn,
在我们离开侯本前往医院去的路上,
Stamford gave me a few more particulars about the gentleman whom I proposed to take as a fellow-lodger.
斯坦弗又给我讲了一些关于那位先生的详细情况。
"You mustn't blame me if you don't get on with him," he said;
他说:"如果你和他处不来可不要怪我。
"I know nothing more of him than I have learned from meeting him occasionally in the laboratory.
我只是在化验室里偶然碰到他,略微知道他一些;此外,对于他就一无所知了。
You proposed this arrangement, so you must not hold me responsible."
既然你自己提议这么办,那么,就不要叫我负责了。"
"If we don't get on it will be easy to part company," I answered.
我回答说:"如果我们处不来,散伙也很容易。"
"It seems to me, Stamford," I added, looking hard at my companion, "that you have some reason for washing your hands of the matter.
我用眼睛盯着我的同伴接着说道,"斯坦弗,我看,你对这件事似乎要缩手不管了,其中一定有缘故。
Is this fellow's temper so formidable, or what is it? Don't be mealymouthed about it."
是不是这个人的脾气真的那样可怕,还是有别的原因?不要这样吞吞吐吐的。"
"It is not easy to express the inexpressible," he answered with a laugh.
他笑了一笑说:"要把难以形容的事用言语表达出来可真不容易。
"Holmes is a little too scientific for my tastes–it approaches to cold- bloodedness.
我看福尔摩斯这个人有点太科学化了,几乎近于冷血的程度。
I could imagine his giving a friend a little pinch of the latest vegetable alkaloid,
我记得有一次,他拿一小撮植物碱给他的朋友尝尝。
not out of malevolence, you understand, but simply out of a spirit of inquiry in order to have an accurate idea of the effects.
你要知道,这并不是出于什么恶意,只不过是出于一种钻研的动机,要想正确地了解这种药物的不同效果罢了。
To do him justice, I think that he would take it himself with the same readiness.
平心而论,我认为他自己也会一口把它吞下去的。
He appears to have a passion for definite and exact knowledge."
看来他对于确切的知识有着强烈的爱好。"
"Very right too."
"这种精神也是对的呀。"
"Yes, but it may be pushed to excess.
"是的,不过也未免太过分了。
When it comes to beating the subjects in the dissecting-rooms with a stick, it is certainly taking rather a bizarre shape."
后来他甚至在解剖室里用棍子抽打尸体,这毕竟是一件怪事吧。"
"Beating the subjects!"
"抽打尸体!"
"Yes, to verify how far bruises may be produced after death. I saw him at it with my own eyes."
"是啊,他是为了证明人死以后还能造成什么样的伤痕。我亲眼看见过他抽打尸体。"
"And yet you say he is not a medical student?"
"你不是说他不是学医的吗?"
"No. Heaven knows what the objects of his studies are. But here we are, and you must form your own impressions about him."
"是呀。天晓得他在研究些什么东西。现在咱们到了,他到底是怎么样一个人,你自己瞧吧。"
As he spoke, we turned down a narrow lane and passed through a small side-door, which opened into a wing of the great hospital.
他说着,我们就下了车,走进一条狭窄的胡同,从一个小小的旁门进去,来到一所大医院的侧楼。
It was familiar ground to me,
这是我所熟悉的地方,
and I needed no guiding as we ascended the bleak stone staircase and made our way down the long corridor with its vista of whitewashed wall and dun-coloured doors.
不用人领路我们就走上了白石台阶,穿过一条长长的走廊。走廊两壁刷得雪白,两旁有许多暗褐色的小门。
Near the farther end a low arched passage branched away from it and led to the chemical laboratory.
靠着走廊尽头上有一个低低的拱形过道,从这里一直通往化验室。
This was a lofty chamber, lined and littered with countless bottles.
化验室是一间高大的屋子,四面杂乱地摆着无数的瓶子。
Broad, low tables were scattered about, which bristled with retorts, test-tubes, and little Bunsen lamps, with their blue flickering flames.
几张又矮又大的桌子纵横排列着,上边放着许多蒸馏瓶、试管和一些闪动着蓝色火焰的小小的本生灯。
There was only one student in the room, who was bending over a distant table absorbed in his work.
屋子里只有一个人,他坐在较远的一张桌子前边,伏在桌上聚精会神地工作着。
At the sound of our steps he glanced round and sprang to his feet with a cry of pleasure.
他听到我们的脚步声,回过头来瞧了一眼,接着就跳了起来,高兴地欢呼着:
"I've found it! I've found it," he shouted to my companion, running towards us with a test-tube in his hand.
"我发现了!我发现了!"他对我的同伴大声说着,一面手里拿着一个试管向我们跑来,
"I have found a re-agent which is precipitated by haemoglobin, and by nothing else."
"我发现了一种试剂,只能用血色蛋白质来沉淀,别的都不行。"
Had he discovered a gold mine, greater delight could not have shone upon his features.
即使他发现了金矿,也不见得会比现在显得更高兴。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部