Chapter 10 A London cab horse
第10章 在伦敦拉出租马车
Jerry Barker was a small man,but well-made and quick in all his movements.
杰利·巴克尔是个小个儿男人,但他结实、健壮、动作敏捷。
He lived in London and was a cab driver.Jerrys wife,Polly,was a little woman with smooth dark hair and dark eyes.
他住在伦敦,是个赶出租马车的。杰利的妻子波莉身材小巧,有一头光滑的黑发和一双乌黑的眼睛。
His son,Harry,was nearly twelve years old, and was a tall,good-tempered boy.
他儿子叫哈利,快12岁了,个子高高的,脾气挺好。
His daughter,Dolly,was eight,and she looked just like her mother.
女儿多莉8岁,看上去和妈妈很像。
Jerry had his own cab and two horses,which he drove and groomed himself.
杰利有自己的一辆马车和两匹马,他自己赶马、料理马。
His other horse was a tall,white animal called Captain.
他的另外一匹马高大洁白,名叫上尉。
The next morning,Polly and Dolly came to see me.
第二天上午,波莉和多莉来看我。
Harry had helped his father since early that morning and had already decided that I would be a good horse.
哈利从那天一大早就帮父亲干活儿,已断定我是匹好马。
Polly brought me a piece of apple and Dolly brought me some bread.
波利给我带来一片苹果,多莉给我拿了些面包。
Well call him Jack,after the old one,said Jerry.Shall we,Polly?
我们叫他杰克吧,和上回那匹一样,杰利说,好吗,波莉?
Yes,she said.I like to keep a good name going.
好,她说,我喜欢沿用一个好名字。
关于《黑骏马》他一连被卖过多次,接触过各种人:有喝多了酒就拿马撒气的醉汉,有动辄抽鞭子的出租马车车夫,有不把动物当回事的野蛮人,也有把动物当成朋友的好人家,尝尽了人间的甜酸苦辣。