"I think you should let me go alone," I said even more quietly.
“我想你得让我一个人开车。”我更加平静地说道。
He heard that.
他听到了。
"Bella, please just do this my way, just this once," he said between clenched teeth.
“贝拉,求你了,按我说的去做,就这一次。”他咬紧了牙关,挤出这句话。
"Listen, Charlie's not an imbecile," I protested. "If you're not in town tomorrow, he's going to get suspicious."
“听着,查理不是白痴。”我竭力主张道。“如果明天你也不在镇上了,他会起疑心的。”
"That's irrelevant. We'll make sure he's safe, and that's all that matters."
“这毫不相干。我们会确保他的安全,这就够了。”
"Then what about this tracker? He saw the way you acted tonight. He's going to think you're with me, wherever you are."
“那追猎者怎么办?他看见了你今晚的表现。他会认为不管你在那里,你都会和我在一起。”
Emmett looked at me, insultingly surprised again. "Edward, listen to her," he urged. "I think she's right."
艾美特看着我,再次露出几近侮辱的惊讶的神情。“爱德华,听她的。”他催促着。“我认为她是对的。”
"Yes, she is," Alice agreed.
“是的,她是对的。”爱丽丝赞同道
"I can't do that." Edward's voice was icy.
“我不能这样做。”爱德华的声音很冷淡。
"Emmett should stay, too," I continued. "He definitely got an eyeful of Emmett."
“艾美特也得留下。”我继续说道。“他显然会好好看着艾美特。”
"What?" Emmett turned on me.
“什么?”艾美特转头看着我。
"You'll get a better crack at him if you stay," Alice agreed.
“如果你留下来的话,你能更好地对他的行动做出反应。”爱丽丝赞同道。
Edward stared at her incredulously. "You think I should let her go alone?"
爱德华怀疑地盯着她。“你认为我应该让她一个人走?”
"Of course not," Alice said. "Jasper and I will take her."
“当然不是,”爱丽丝说道。“贾斯帕和我会照看着她。”
"I can't do that," Edward repeated, but this time there was a trace of defeat in his voice. The logic was working on him.
“我不能这样做。”爱德华重复道,但这一次他的话语里有着一丝败北的味道。理智在他身上起作用了。
I tried to be persuasive. "Hang out here for a week —" I saw his expression in the mirror and amended "— a few days. Let Charlie see you haven't kidnapped me, and lead this James on a wild-goose chase. Make sure he's completely off my trail. Then come and meet me. Take a roundabout route, of course, and then Jasper and Alice can go home."
我试图循循善诱。“你在这里闲逛个一周——”我从后视镜里看见他的表情,立刻更正道。“——几天。让查理看到你没有绑架我,还有让那个詹姆斯徒劳地四处搜素。确保他完全得不到我的踪迹。然后来见我。当然,路上得绕些道,然后贾斯帕和爱丽丝就可以回家了。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。