"I think I saw it in the trunk," Billy said. "You may have to dig for it."
“我想我在那辆卡车里看见了。”比利说道。“你得去把它挖出来。”
Jacob slouched back out into the rain.
雅克布无精打采地走出屋外,走回雨中。
Billy and I faced each other in silence. After a few seconds, the quiet started to feel awkward, so I turned and headed to the kitchen. I could hear his wet wheels squeak against the linoleum as he followed.
比利和我沉默地对峙着。几秒钟以后,这种静寂开始变得尴尬起来,所以我转过身去,径直走向厨房。我能听到他跟着我,湿漉漉的轮椅碾过地上铺着的油毯发出吱吱声。
I shoved the bag onto the crowded top shelf of the fridge, and spun around to confront him. His deeply lined face was unreadable.
我把纸包塞进冰箱拥挤的上格,旋即转身与他对峙着。他棱角分明的脸上有着无法读懂的神情。
"Charlie won't be back for a long time." My voice was almost rude.
“查理得很久以后才会回来。”我的语气几近粗鲁。
He nodded in agreement, but said nothing.
他同意地点了点头,但什么也没说。
"Thanks again for the fish fry," I hinted.
“再次感谢你的煎鱼。”我暗示道。
He continued nodding. I sighed and folded my arms across my chest.
他继续点头,我叹了口气,把胳膊交叠在胸前。
He seemed to sense that I had given up on small talk. "Bella," he said, and then he hesitated.
他似乎感觉到我已经放弃了与他闲谈。“贝拉。”他说完,又踌躇了起来。
I waited.
我等待着。
"Bella," he said again, "Charlie is one of my best friends."
“贝拉,”他再次说道。“查理是我最好的朋友之一。”
"Yes."
“是的。”
He spoke each word carefully in his rumbling voice. "I noticed you've been spending time with one of the Cullens."
他用他隆隆的嗓音小心地说着每个字。“我注意到,你经常和卡伦家的其中一个成员待在一起。”
"Yes," I repeated curtly.
“是的。”我简短地重复着。
His eyes narrowed. "Maybe it's none of my business, but I don't think that is such a good idea."
他的眼睛眯缝起来。“也许这与我无关,但我不认为这是个好主意。”
"You're right," I agreed. "It is none of your business."
“你是对的,”我赞同道。“这与你无关。”
He raised his graying eyebrows at my tone. "You probably don't know this, but the Cullen family has an unpleasant reputation on the reservation."
听到我这样的语气,他扬起了灰白的眉毛。“你也许不知道这一点,但卡伦家在保留区声名狼藉。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。