"It's Edward, Dad."
“是爱德华,爸爸。”
"Is he?"
“他是吗?”
"Sort of, I guess."
“我猜,某种程度上,是的。”
"You said last night that you weren't interested in any of the boys in town." But he picked up his fork again, so I could see the worst was over.
“你昨晚还说着你对镇上的男孩都没有兴趣。”但他又拿起了他的叉子,所以我知道最难熬的那段已经过去了。
"Well, Edward doesn't live in town, Dad."
“嗯,爱德华不住在镇上,爸爸。”
He gave me a disparaging look as he chewed.
他咀嚼着,轻蔑地看了我一眼。
"And, anyways," I continued, "it's kind of at an early stage, you know. Don't embarrass me with all the boyfriend talk, okay?"
“还有,无论如何,”我继续说道。“我们才刚刚开始,你知道的。别再说什么男朋友不男朋友的,这太让我难为情了,”
"When is he coming over?"
“他要过来吗?”
"He'll be here in a few minutes."
“他几分钟后到。”
"Where is he taking you?"
“他要带你去哪里?”
I groaned loudly. "I hope you're getting the Spanish Inquisition out of your system now. We're going to play baseball with his family."
我大声地呻吟道。“我希望你已经把那种西班牙宗教法庭式的审讯方式从你脑子里丢开了。我们要去和他家里人一起打棒球。”
His face puckered, and then he finally chuckled. "You're playing baseball?"
他皱起脸,最终轻笑起来。“你要打棒球?”
"Well, I'll probably watch most of the time."
“嗯,大部分时间我可能会都在当观众。”
"You must really like this guy," he observed suspiciously.
“你一定很喜欢那家伙。”他猜疑地评价道。
I sighed and rolled my eyes for his benefit.
我叹息着,为着他的缘故,只是翻了翻白眼。
I heard the roar of an engine pull up in front of the house. I jumped up and started cleaning my dishes.
我听到从屋前传来的引擎的轰鸣声。我跳起来,开始收拾餐具。
"Leave the dishes, I can do them tonight. You baby me too much."
“别管那些盘子,今晚我来收拾。你也太把我当孩子了。”
The doorbell rang, and Charlie stalked off to answer it. I was half a step behind him.
门铃响了起来,查理大步走过去开门。我只比他快了半步。
I hadn't realized how hard it was pouring outside. Edward stood in the halo of the porch light, looking like a male model in an advertisement for raincoats.
我完全没有注意到,屋外正下着倾盆大雨。爱德华站在门廊的灯光下,看上去像是雨衣广告里的男模特。
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。