The kitchen was bright, happy, seeming to absorb my mood.
厨房显得既明朗又欢快,似乎被我的情绪感染到了。
"What's for breakfast?" I asked pleasantly.
“早餐吃什么?”我快活地问道。
That threw him for a minute.
这个问题让他想了足足一分钟。
"Er, I'm not sure. What would you like?" His marble brow puckered.
“呃,我不能肯定。你喜欢吃什么?”他大理石般的额头皱了起来。
I grinned, hopping up.
我咧嘴一笑,跳了起来。
"That's all right, I fend for myself pretty well. Watch me hunt."
“那好吧,我可是很擅长自力更生的。看着我怎么狩猎。”
I found a bowl and a box of cereal. I could feel his eyes on me as I poured the milk and grabbed a spoon. I sat my food on the table, and then paused.
我找出一只碗和一盒麦片。当我把牛奶倒进去,抓起一把勺子的时候,我能感觉到他的眼睛在看着我。我把自己的食物放到桌子上,然后停住了。
"Can I get you anything?" I asked, not wanting to be rude.
“需要我给你弄点什么吃的吗?”我不想显得太过无礼,于是问道。
He rolled his eyes. "Just eat, Bella."
他转了转眼睛。“吃吧,贝拉。”
I sat at the table, watching him as I took a bite. He was gazing at me, studying my every movement. It made me self-conscious. I cleared my mouth to speak, to distract him.
我坐到桌子旁,看着他,然后吃了一口。他注视着我,研究着我的每一个动作。这让我很不自在。我咽下嘴里的食物,开口说话,想要分散他的注意力。
"What's on the agenda for today?" I asked.
“今天有什么安排吗?”我问道。
"Hmmm…" I watched him frame his answer carefully. "What would you say to meeting my family?"
“呃嗯……”我看着他仔细地斟酌着自己的答案。“你觉得去见我的家里人怎么样?”
I gulped.
我吞咽了一下。
"Are you afraid now?" He sounded hopeful.
“你现在害怕了?”他听起来满怀希望。
"Yes," I admitted; how could I deny it — he could see my eyes.
“是的。”我坦白道。我怎么可能否认呢——他从我眼里就能看出来。
"Don't worry." He smirked. "I'll protect you."
“别担心。”他坏笑起来。“我会保护你的。”
"I'm not afraid of them," I explained. "I'm afraid they won't… like me. Won't they be, well, surprised that you would bring someone… like me… home to meet them? Do they know that I know about them?"
“我不是在害怕他们。”我解释道。“我是在害怕他们会……不喜欢我。难道他们不会,嗯,很惊讶,你居然带了一个……像我这样的人……回家去见他们?他们知道我知道他们的事吗?”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。