And then I collapsed.
然后我瘫倒了。
"Bella?" His voice was alarmed as he caught me and held me up.
“贝拉?”他的声音惊慌失措,他抓住我,把我扶起来。
"You… made… me… faint," I accused him dizzily.
“你……让……我……发晕了。”我头晕眼花地指控他。
"What am I going to do with you?" he groaned in exasperation. "Yesterday I kiss you, and you attack me! Today you pass out on me!"
“我该拿你怎么办呢?”他有些恼怒地说道。“昨天我吻你时你攻击了我!今天你却因为我的吻而晕过去了!”
I laughed weakly, letting his arms support me while my head spun.
我虚弱地笑了起来,让他的胳膊支撑着我,我的头还是很晕。
"So much for being good at everything," he sighed.
“你总说我擅长做每件事。”他叹息着说。
"That's the problem." I was still dizzy. "You're too good. Far, far too good."
“这就是问题所在。”我还是有些眩晕。“你太擅长了。太,太擅长了。”
"Do you feel sick?" he asked; he'd seen me like this before.
“你觉得头晕吗?”他问道。他之前见过我像这样子。
"No — that wasn't the same kind of fainting at all. I don't know what happened." I shook my head apologetically, "I think I forgot to breathe."
“不——这完全不是那种头晕。我不知道发生了什么事。”我充满歉意地摇着头。“我想我忘了呼吸。”
"I can't take you anywhere like this."
“你现在这个样子,我可不敢带你去任何地方。”
"I'm fine," I insisted. "Your family is going to think I'm insane anyway, what's the difference?"
“我没事。”我坚持着。“无论如何,你的家人都会认为我有病,有什么区别吗?”
He measured my expression for a moment. "I'm very partial to that color with your skin," he offered unexpectedly. I flushed with pleasure, and looked away.
他估量了片刻我的神情。“我特别偏爱你现在这种肤色。”他出乎意料地说道。我愉快地脸红了,赶忙看向别处。
"Look, I'm trying really hard not to think about what I'm about to do, so can we go already?" I asked.
“看,我会竭尽全力不去想我将要做的事,所以我们现在可以走了吗?”我问道。
"And you're worried, not because you're headed to meet a houseful of vampires, but because you think those vampires won't approve of you, correct?"
“而你在担心,不是因为你将要见到一屋子的吸血鬼,而是因为你认为那些吸血鬼不会赞同你,对吗?”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。