"Are you hungry?" I asked, turning toward the kitchen. I was eager to escape Billy's searching gaze.
“你们饿了吗?”我问道,转身向厨房走去。我渴望着逃离比利洞察的注视。
"Naw, we ate just before we came," Jacob answered.
“不,我们来之前刚吃过。”雅克布答道。
"How about you, Charlie?" I called over my shoulder as I fled around the corner.
“你呢,查理?”当我转过拐角的时候,我越过肩膀向后喊道。
"Sure," he replied, his voice moving in the direction of the front room and the TV. I could hear Billy's chair follow.
“当然。”他应声说道。他的声音向着前厅和电视机的方向移动着。我能听到比利的轮椅跟着过去了。
The grilled cheese sandwiches were in the frying pan and I was slicing up a tomato when I sensed someone behind me.
烤奶酪三明治已经在煎锅里了,我正在把一个马铃薯切片,这时我感觉到某人正站在我身后。
"So, how are things?" Jacob asked.
“那么,最近过得怎么样?”雅克布问道。
"Pretty good." I smiled. His enthusiasm was hard to resist. "How about you? Did you finish your car?"
“相当不错。”我微笑着说。要抵抗住他的热情是件很难的事。“你呢?你的车弄好了吗?”
"No." He frowned. "I still need parts. We borrowed that one." He pointed with his thumb in the direction of the front yard.
“没。”他皱起眉。“我还需要一些零部件。这辆车是我们借来的。”他用拇指指着前院的方向。
"Sorry. I haven't seen any… what was it you were looking for?"
“对不起。我没看到什么……你要找的是什么?”
"Master cylinder." He grinned. "Is something wrong with the truck?" he added suddenly.
“制动缸。”他咧嘴一笑。“那辆卡车有什么问题吗?”他忽然补充道。
"No."
“没有。”
"Oh. I just wondered because you weren't driving it."
“哦。我只是有点怀疑,因为你不再开它。”
I stared down at the pan, pulling up the edge of a sandwich to check the bottom side. "I got a ride with a friend."
我低下头看着煎锅,夹起一片三明治的一角,检查朝下的那一面。“我搭一个朋友的车上学。”
"Nice ride." Jacob's voice was admiring. "I didn't recognize the driver, though. I thought I knew most of the kids around here."
“好车。”雅克布的声音里充满了赞叹。“但是我不认识开车的那个人。我想我认识这附近的大部分孩子。”
I nodded noncommittally, keeping my eyes down as I flipped sandwiches.
我含糊地点点头,始终低着头,给三明治翻面。
"My dad seemed to know him from somewhere."
“我爸似乎在什么地方认识了他。”
"Jacob, could you hand me some plates? They're in the cupboard over the sink."
“雅克布,你能递给我几个盘子吗?它们就在水槽上的橱柜里。”
"Sure."
“好的。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。