"I'm not sure," I hedged.
“我不能肯定。”我没有正面回答。
"That was fun, Charlie," Billy said.
“比赛太有趣了,查理。”比利说道。
"Come up for the next game," Charlie encouraged.
“下一场比赛时再过来。”查理鼓励道。
"Sure, sure," Billy said. "We'll be here. Have a good night." His eyes shifted to mine, and his smile disappeared. "You take care, Bella," he added seriously.
“当然,当然。”比利说道。“我们会再到这里来的。晚安。”他的目光飞快地转向我的眼睛,他的笑容消失了。“你要当心,贝拉。”他严肃地补充道。
"Thanks," I muttered, looking away.
“谢谢。”我低声说道,看向别处。
I headed for the stairs while Charlie waved from the doorway.
当查理向车道挥手的时候,我径直走上楼。
"Wait, Bella," he said.
“等等,贝拉。”他说道。
I cringed. Had Billy gotten something in before I'd joined them in the living room?
我畏缩了一下。难道在我到起居室加入他们以前,比利就已经得手了吗?
But Charlie was relaxed, still grinning from the unexpected visit.
但是查理看起来很轻松,似乎还因为雅比利的突然到访而十分高兴。
"I didn't get a chance to talk to you tonight. How was your day?"
“今天晚上我没找到机会跟你说话。你今天过得怎么样?”
"Good." I hesitated with one foot on the first stair, searching for details I could safely share. "My badminton team won all four games."
“很好。”我的脚落在第一级台阶上,我迟疑着,搜寻着可以我安全地分享的细节。“我所在的羽毛球队赢了四场比赛。”
"Wow, I didn't know you could play badminton."
“哇噢,我不知道你还会打羽毛球。”
"Well, actually I can't, but my partner is really good," I admitted.
“嗯,我确实不会。但我的搭档相当棒。”我坦白道。
"Who is it?" he asked with token interest.
我坦白道。“那是谁?”他带着象征性的兴趣问道。
"Um… Mike Newton," I told him reluctantly.
“呃……迈克·牛顿。”我勉强告诉了他。
"Oh yeah — you said you were friends with the Newton kid." He perked up. "Nice family." He mused for a minute. "Why didn't you ask him to the dance this weekend?"
“哦是的——你说过你和牛顿家的孩子是朋友。”他精神为之一振。“不错的一家人。”他沉思了片刻。“你为什么不邀请他参加这周末的舞会呢?”
"Dad!" I groaned. "He's kind of dating my friend Jessica. Besides, you know I can't dance."
“爸爸!”我呻吟道。“他几乎可以说是正在和我的朋友杰西卡约会。还有,你知道我不能跳舞。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。