"How did you sleep?" he asked. I wondered if he had any idea how appealing his voice was.
“你睡得怎么样?”他问道。我怀疑他是否知道自己的声音是多么的动人。
"Fine. How was your night?"
“很好。你昨晚过得怎样?”
"Pleasant." His smile was amused; I felt like I was missing an inside joke.
“很开心。”他的笑容很愉快。我感觉我错过了一个秘密的笑话。
"Can I ask what you did?" I asked.
“我能问你做了什么吗?”我问道。
"No." He grinned. "Today is still mine."
“不能。”他咧嘴一笑。“今天还是我的。”
He wanted to know about people today: more about Renée, her hobbies, what we'd done in our free time together. And then the one grandmother I'd known, my few school friends — embarrassing me when he asked about boys I'd dated. I was relieved that I'd never really dated anyone, so that particular conversation couldn't last long. He seemed as surprised as Jessica and Angela by my lack of romantic history.
他今天想了解别人的事:更多关于蕾妮的事,她的爱好,当我们空闲的时候我们一起做过的事。还有我记得的一位祖母,我寥寥无几的在学校里的朋友——让我困窘的是他居然问起了我约会过的男孩子。我很庆幸自己从没真正地跟谁约会过,所以这个特别的对话没有持续太久。他似乎和杰西卡还有安吉拉一样惊讶于我在罗曼史方面的匮乏。
"So you never met anyone you wanted?" he asked in a serious tone that made me wonder what he was thinking about.
“所以你从没遇见过你想要的人?”他用严肃的语气问道,这让我想知道他在想什么。
I was grudgingly honest. "Not in Phoenix."
我满心不情愿地诚实答道。“在凤凰城没有。”
His lips pressed together into a hard line.
他的嘴唇紧紧地抿在一起,抿成了一条坚毅的线条。
We were in the cafeteria at this point. The day had sped by in the blur that was rapidly becoming routine. I took advantage of his brief pause to take a bite of my bagel.
此刻我们正在自助餐厅里。这一天又是在一阵模糊中过去了,这很快会变成例行公事的。我利用他短暂的停顿咬了一口硬面包圈。
"I should have let you drive yourself today," he announced, apropos of nothing, while I chewed.
“今天我必须让你自己开车回去。”当我咀嚼的时候,他宣布,没有提及任何理由。
"Why?" I demanded.
“为什么?”我诘问道。
"I'm leaving with Alice after lunch."
“午饭后我要和爱丽丝出去一下。
"Oh." I blinked, bewildered and disappointed. "That's okay, it's not that far of a walk."
“哦。”我眨了眨眼睛,既迷惑又失望。“没关系,走回去不算太远。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。