Edward flashed a dark look at her.
爱德华阴沉地扫了她一眼。
"Hi, Alice," I murmured shyly.
“你好,爱丽丝。”我羞涩地低声说道。
"Are you ready?" she asked him.
“你准备好了吗?”她问他。
His voice was aloof. "Nearly. I'll meet you at the car."
他的语气很生疏。“差不多。我们车上见。”
She left without another word; her walk was so fluid, so sinuous that I felt a sharp pang of jealousy.
她一言不发地离开了。她走路的姿势是那么的流畅,有如行云流水,我感到一阵嫉妒的刺痛。
"Should I say 'have fun,' or is that the wrong sentiment?" I asked, turning back to him.
“我应该说‘玩得开心’,或者这是一种错误的情绪吗?”我转回头看他,问道。
"No, 'have fun' works as well as anything." He grinned.
“不,‘玩得开心’在任何情况下都适用。”他咧嘴一笑。
"Have fun, then." I worked to sound wholehearted. Of course I didn't fool him.
“那么,玩得开心!”我努力地让自己听起来很诚恳。当然我还是没能骗过他。
"I'll try." He still grinned. "And you try to be safe, please."
“我尽量。”他依然咧嘴笑着。“你也要尽力让自己安然无恙,求你了。”
"Safe in Forks — what a challenge."
“在福克斯安然无恙——真是个挑战。”
"For you it is a challenge." His jaw hardened. "Promise."
“对你来说确实是个挑战。”他的下巴绷得更紧了。“向我保证。”
"I promise to try to be safe," I recited. "I'll do the laundry tonight — that ought to be fraught with peril."
“我保证尽量让自己安然无恙。”我背诵道。“我今晚会洗衣服——这应该会有一定的危险性。”
"Don't fall in," he mocked.
“别掉进去。”他嘲弄道。
"I'll do my best."
“我会尽力而为。”
He stood then, and I rose, too.
他随即站起来,我也站了起来。
"I'll see you tomorrow," I sighed.
“明天见。”我叹息道。
"It seems like a long time to you, doesn't it?" he mused.
“这对你来说似乎是一段很长的时光,不是吗?”他若有所思地说道。
I nodded glumly.
我闷闷不乐地点点头。
"I'll be there in the morning," he promised, smiling his crooked smile. He reached across the table to touch my face, lightly brushing along my cheekbone again. Then he turned and walked away. I stared after him until he was gone.
“我一早就到。”他保证道,弯弯一笑。他伸出手,隔着桌子抚摸着我的脸,又一次轻抚过我的颧骨。然后他转身走开了。我目送着他离去。
I was sorely tempted to ditch the rest of the day, at the very least Gym, but a warning instinct stopped me. I knew that if I disappeared now, Mike and others would assume I was with Edward. And Edward was worried about the time we'd spent together publicly… if things went wrong. I refused to dwell on the last thought, concentrating instead on making things safer for him.
那天剩下的时光里,我非常渴望翘课,至少翘掉体育课,但一种本能的警告阻止了我。我知道如果我现在消失的话,迈克和其他人会认为我是和爱德华在一起。而爱德华正担心我们公开相处的时间太多……如果事情向不好的方向发展的话。我拒绝去细想最后一个念头,取而代之的是把注意力集中在让他更安全的方面。
I intuitively knew — and sensed he did, too — that tomorrow would be pivotal. Our relationship couldn't continue to balance, as it did, on the point of a knife. We would fall off one edge or the other, depending entirely upon his decision, or his instincts. My decision was made, made before I'd ever consciously chosen, and I was committed to seeing it through. Because there was nothing more terrifying to me, more excruciating, than the thought of turning away from him. It was an impossibility.
我凭直觉知道——也从他的举止中感觉到——明天会非常关键。我们的关系不会继续这样平衡下去,它已经立在了刀刃上。我们要么落到这头,要么落到那头,这完全基于他的决定,或是他的本能。我早已下定了决心,甚至是在我有意识地作出选择以前就定下来了,我会坚定不移地走到底。因为对我来说,没有什么能比要离他而去的这个念头更让人恐惧,更折磨人了。这是个不可能事件。
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。