"I'll see you tomorrow," he sighed, and I knew he wanted me to leave now.
“我们明天见。”他叹了口气。我知道他想让我现在离开。
"Tomorrow, then." I opened the door unwillingly.
“那么,明天见。”我不情愿地打开门。
"Bella?" I turned and he was leaning toward me, his pale, glorious face just inches from mine. My heart stopped beating.
“贝拉。”我回过头来,他向我侧过身子来,他苍白绝伦的面孔离我只有几英寸远。我的心跳停拍了。
"Sleep well," he said. His breath blew in my face, stunning me. It was the same exquisite scent that clung to his jacket, but in a more concentrated form. I blinked, thoroughly dazed. He leaned away.
“祝你睡得好。”他说着。他的呼吸轻拂着我的脸,让我一阵晕眩。和沾染在他的夹克上的味道一样,一阵甜腻的香气,却更为浓郁。我眨了眨眼,完全陷入了恍惚中。他已经退回去了。
I was unable to move until my brain had somewhat unscrambled itself. Then I stepped out of the car awkwardly, having to use the frame for support. I thought I heard him chuckle, but the sound was too quiet for me to be certain.
我一直没法挪动步子,直到我的大脑恢复运作为止。我不得不撑着门框,才笨拙地走下了车。我想我听到了他的轻笑声,但这声音太小了,我不能肯定。
He waited till I had stumbled to the front door, and then I heard his engine quietly rev. I turned to watch the silver car disappear around the corner. I realized it was very cold.
他一直等在那里,直到我走到前门那里,被它绊了一下。然后,我听到了他的引擎安静地加速的声音。我转过身去,看见那辆银色的车消失在转角处。我这才意识,现在很冷。
I reached for the key mechanically, unlocked the door, and stepped inside.
我机械地掏出钥匙,打开门,走进屋里。
Charlie called from the living room. "Bella?"
查理从起居室那边喊道:“贝拉?”
"Yeah, Dad, it's me." I walked in to see him. He was watching a baseball game.
“是的,爸爸,是我。”我走进去见他。他正在看棒球赛。
"You're home early."
“你回来得很早。”
"Am I?" I was surprised.
“是吗?”我很惊讶。
"It's not even eight yet," he told me. "Did you girls have fun?"
“还不到八点呢,”他告诉我。“你们几个女孩子玩得开心吗?”
"Yeah — it was lots of fun." My head was spinning as I tried to remember all the way back to the girls' night out I had planned. "They both found dresses."
“是的——太开心了。”我的脑子高速运转着,试图回想起我原本计划的女孩之夜的所有内容。“她们俩都找到了裙子。”
"Are you all right?"
“你还好吧?”
"I'm just tired. I did a lot of walking."
“我只是有点累,我走了很多路。”
"Well, maybe you should go lie down." He sounded concerned. I wondered what my face looked like.
“好吧,也许你应该上去躺着。”他听起来有些担心。我想知道我的脸看起来怎么样。
"I'm just going to call Jessica first."
“我想先给杰西卡打个电话。”
"Weren't you just with her?" he asked, surprised.
“你刚才不是还跟她在一起吗?”他惊讶地问道。
"Yes — but I left my jacket in her car. I want to make sure she brings it tomorrow."
“是的——但我把我的夹克落在她车里了。我想让她明天带给我。”
"Well, give her a chance to get home first."
“好吧,但先让她有机会回到家。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。