We were in front of Charlie's house. The lights were on, my truck in its place, everything utterly normal. It was like waking from a dream. He stopped the car, but I didn't move.
我们开到了查理的房子前。灯亮着,我的卡车还在老地方,一切完全正常。就好像从梦里醒来一样。他把车停下来,但我没动。
"Do you promise to be there tomorrow?"
“你保证明天在那里?”
"I promise."
“我保证。”
I considered that for a moment, then nodded. I pulled his jacket off, taking one last whiff.
我思索了片刻,然后点了点头。我把夹克脱下来,吸了最后一口香气。
"You can keep it — you don't have a jacket for tomorrow," he reminded me.
“你可以留着它——你明天可没有夹克可穿。”他提醒我。
I handed it back to him. "I don't want to have to explain to Charlie."
我把它递还给他。“我可不想被迫向查理解释。”
"Oh, right." He grinned.
“哦,好吧。”他咧嘴一笑。
I hesitated, my hand on the door handle, trying to prolong the moment.
我迟疑着,把手放到门柄上,努力拖延着动作。
"Bella?" he asked in a different tone — serious, but hesitant.
“贝拉?”他用一种不同寻常的语气问道——严肃,但犹豫。
"Yes?" I turned back to him too eagerly.
“嗯?”我太过热切地回过头去看着他。
"Will you promise me something?"
“你能向我保证一件事吗?”
"Yes," I said, and instantly regretted my unconditional agreement. What if he asked me to stay away from him? I couldn't keep that promise.
“好的。”我刚说完,立刻为自己这个太过绝对的同意后悔了。假设他要我远离他呢?我没法信守那样的承诺。
"Don't go into the woods alone."
“别再独自一人走到森林里去。”
I stared at him in blank confusion. "Why?"
我完全摸不着头脑,困惑地看着他:“为什么?”
He frowned, and his eyes were tight as he stared past me out the window.
他皱起眉,当他的目光越过我看向窗外时,眼神紧绷着。
"I'm not always the most dangerous thing out there. Let's leave it at that."
“在那里我不总是最危险的生物。让我们离它远远的。”
I shuddered slightly at the sudden bleakness in his voice, but I was relieved. This, at least, was an easy promise to honor. "Whatever you say."
他声音里的阴郁让我微微颤抖着,但我还是很宽慰。至少,这是个容易遵守的承诺。“如你所愿。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。