"Sometimes it's more difficult than others."
“有些时候,这会比别的时候更困难些。”
"Is it very difficult for you now?" I asked.
“现在这对你来说很困难吗?”我问道。
He sighed. "Yes."
他叹息着。“是的。”
"But you're not hungry now," I said confidently — stating, not asking.
“但你现在不饿。”我肯定地说——是陈述,而非询问。
"Why do you think that?"
“为什么你会这样想呢?”
"Your eyes. I told you I had a theory. I've noticed that people — men in particular — are crabbier when they're hungry."
“你的眼睛。我告诉过你我有一个理论。我注意到人们——尤其是男人——饥饿的时候会更暴躁些。”
He chuckled. "You are observant, aren't you?"
他轻笑着:“你是个观-察-家,不是吗?”
I didn't answer; I just listened to the sound of his laugh, committing it to memory.
我没有回答。我只是听着他的笑声,把它铭刻在记忆里。
"Were you hunting this weekend, with Emmett?" I asked when it was quiet again.
“你上周末去狩猎了吗,和艾美特一起?”当我们再次安静下来的时候,我问道。
"Yes." He paused for a second, as if deciding whether or not to say something. "I didn't want to leave, but it was necessary. It's a bit easier to be around you when I'm not thirsty."
“是的。”他停顿了一秒,似乎在决定某件事该不该说。“我不想离开,但这很有必要。当我不那么渴的时候,待在你周围会更容易些。”
"Why didn't you want to leave?"
“为什么你不想离开呢?”
"It makes me… anxious… to be away from you." His eyes were gentle but intense, and they seemed to be making my bones turn soft. "I wasn't joking when I asked you to try not to fall in the ocean or get run over last Thursday. I was distracted all weekend, worrying about you. And after what happened tonight, I'm surprised that you did make it through a whole weekend unscathed." He shook his head, and then seemed to remember something. "Well, not totally unscathed."
“这让我……不安……因为不在你身边。”他的眼睛很温柔,但有些紧张,它们几乎要让我的骨头都酥了。“上周三我要你千万别掉进海里,或者别被绊倒,那不是在开玩笑。整个周末我都心浮气躁,担心着你。而在今晚发生的事以后,我很惊讶,你居然能毫发无损地平安度过整个周末。”他摇了摇头,似乎想起了什么。“好吧,并不是完全毫发无损。”
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。