"Yes," I croaked softly.
“是的。”我用嘶哑的声音轻轻地说着。
"Distract me, please," he ordered.
“请让我分神。”他下令。
"I'm sorry, what?"
“对不起,你在说什么?”
He exhaled sharply.
他急促地呼了口气。
"Just prattle about something unimportant until I calm down," he clarified, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger.
“随便说些不关痛痒的事,直到我平静下来为止。”他阐释着,闭上眼睛,用拇指和食指按压着鼻梁。
"Um." I wracked my brain for something trivial. "I'm going to run over Tyler Crowley tomorrow before school?"
“呃。”我痛苦地搜寻着脑海里的琐事。“明天上课以前我要开车从泰勒·克劳利身上碾过去。”
He was still squeezing his eyes closed, but the corner of his mouth twitched.
他依然紧紧地闭着双眼,但他的嘴角微微抽动着。
"Why?"
“为什么?”
"He's telling everyone that he's taking me to prom — either he's insane or he's still trying to make up for almost killing me last… well, you remember it, and he thinks prom is somehow the correct way to do this. So I figure if I endanger his life, then we're even, and he can't keep trying to make amends. I don't need enemies and maybe Lauren would back off if he left me alone. I might have to total his Sentra, though. If he doesn't have a ride he can't take anyone to prom…" I babbled on.
“他告诉每一个人说他要带我去参加正式舞会——不管他是有病还是在努力为上次差点杀了我作补偿……嗯,你记得的,不知怎的他认为正式舞会是这样做的良好时机。所以我估计我也危害一次他的性命的话,我们俩就扯平了,他就不必再努力作补偿了。我不需要敌人,如果他肯放过我的话,也许劳伦会放弃和我做对。不过,也许我得完全摧毁他那辆森特拉。如果他没有车的话,他就没法带任何人去正式舞会了……”我不停地唠叨着。
"I heard about that." He sounded a bit more composed.
“我听到过这些传言。”他的声音听起来镇静些了。
"You did?" I asked in disbelief, my previous irritation flaring. "If he's paralyzed from the neck down, he can't go to the prom, either," I muttered, refining my plan.
“真的?”我难以置信地问道,早先的怒火再次熊熊燃烧起来。“要是他从脖子以下高位截瘫,他同样也没法去参加正式舞会了。”我喃喃低语着,推敲着我的计划。
Edward sighed, and finally opened his eyes.
爱德华叹息着,终于睁开了眼睛。
"Better?"
“好些了?”
"Not really."
“完全没有。”
I waited, but he didn't speak again. He leaned his head back against the seat, staring at the ceiling of the car. His face was rigid.
我等待着,但他不再说话了。他把头靠在椅背上,盯着车里的天花板。他的神情很坚毅。
"What's wrong?" My voice came out in a whisper.
“怎么回事?”我的声音低得像在耳边低语。
《暮光之城》与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。