搜索

有声读物《暮光之城•暮色》第8期:入学第一天(1)

查看: 386.1k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 10:20:05 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
有声读物《暮光之城•暮色》第8期:入学第一天(1)
I did not sleep well that night, even after I was done crying.
那天晚上我没睡好,就连哭完之后也没睡好。
The constant whooshing of the rain and wind across the roof would not fade into the background.
房顶上扫过的风雨声,嗖嗖地一阵紧似一阵,根本就没有减弱成背景音的意思。
I pulled the faded old quilt over my head, and later added the pillow, too.
我把褪了色的旧棉被拽上来蒙住了脑袋,后来又在上面加了个枕头。
But I could not fall asleep until after midnight, when the rain finally settled into a quieter drizzle.
可我还是直到后半夜,等雨好不容易减弱成了毛毛小雨时才入睡。
Thick fog was all I could see out my window in the morning, and I could feel the claustrophobia creeping up on me.
早上醒来,睁眼一看,窗外除了浓雾还是浓雾,我能感觉到幽闭恐怖症正在向我慢慢袭来。
You could never see the sky here; it was like a cage.
在这里,你根本就看不到天空;就像一个笼子一样。
Breakfast with Charlie was a quiet event.
与查理共进早餐是一件静静悄悄的事。
He wished me good luck at school.
他祝我上学好运,
I thanked him, knowing his hope was wasted.
我谢了他,知道他祝了也是徒劳。
Good luck tended to avoid me.
好运总是会躲着我。
Charlie left first, off to the police station that was his wife and family.
查理先出了门,去了警察局,那里才像是他的家。
After he left, I sat at the old square oak table in one of the three unmatching chairs and examined his small kitchen,
等他走了之后,我在破旧的橡木方桌边上坐下,坐在三把不配套的椅子中的一把上,端详起查理的小厨房来:
with its dark paneled walls, bright yellow cabinets, and white linoleum floor.
墙上嵌着深色的护墙板,有几个鲜黄色的橱柜,地上铺着白色的油毡。
Nothing was changed.
什么都没有变。
My mother had painted the cabinets eighteen years ago in an attempt to bring some sunshine into the house.
橱柜上的漆是我母亲18年前刷的,她想给房子里面引点儿阳光进来。
Over the small fireplace in the adjoining handkerchief sized family room was a row of pictures.
隔壁巴掌大的家庭娱乐室的壁炉上方挂着一排照片,
First a wedding picture of Charlie and my mom in Las Vegas,
第一张是查理和我妈妈在拉斯维加斯的结婚照,
then one of the three of us in the hospital after I was born,
然后一张是我出生后我们一家三口在医院的合影,
taken by a helpful nurse, followed by the procession of my school pictures up to last year's.
是一个乐于助人的护士帮忙照的,接着的一连串全都是我在学校里的照片了,最晚的一张是去年才照的。
Those were embarrassing to look at—I would have to see what I could do to get Charlie to put them somewhere else,
这些照片可寒碜了——我得想想办法,看怎么能够让查理把它们挪到别的地方去,
at least while I was living here.
起码我住在这里的时候不能挂着。
It was impossible, being in this house, not to realize that Charlie had never gotten over my mom.
在这栋房子里,谁都不可能看不出查理从来都没有真正把我妈妈忘掉过。
It made me uncomfortable.
这令我很不自在。
I did not want to be too early to school, but I could not stay in the house anymore.
我不想太早去上学,可我没办法在这个房子里多袋了。
I donned my jacket—which had the feel of a biohazard suit—and headed out into the rain.
我穿上了外套——给人的感觉有点儿防毒服的味道——一头冲进了雨里。
It was just drizzling still,
仅仅是还在下着一点儿毛毛小雨,
not enough to soak me through immediately as I reached for the house key that was always hidden under the eaves by the door, and locked up.
我取下钥匙再把门锁上这么短时间,是淋不透我的。房子的钥匙一直藏在门边的屋檐下面。
The sloshing of my new waterproof boots was unnerving.
我的新防水靴溅起的泥水很恼人,
I missed the normal crunch of gravel as I walked.
听不见一般情形下脚底砾石发出的嘎吱嘎吱声。
I could not pause and admire my truck again as I wanted;
我不能像心里希望的那样,停下来欣赏欣赏我的卡车。
I was in a hurry to get out of the misty wet that swirled around my head and clung to my hair under my hood.
我着急着呢,恨不能赶紧从这盘绕在我脑袋周围,缠住帽兜下面的头发不放的雾霭中摆脱出来。
Inside the truck, it was nice and dry.
卡车里面倒是很干爽。
Either Billy or Charlie had obviously cleaned it up,
显然,不是比利,就是查理,已经把车清洁过了,
but the tan upholstered seats still smelled faintly of tobacco, gasoline, and peppermint.
不过装了软垫的皮座椅还是能闻到些许的烟草、汽油和薄荷油的味道。
The engine started quickly, to my relief, but loudly, roaring to life and then idling at top volume.
令我感到安慰的是,发动机一打就着,不过声音很大,刚发动时突突作响,空转时更是达到了最大音量。
Well, a truck this old was bound to have a flaw.
嗨,这么老的一辆车肯定有一两处缺陷的。
The antique radio worked, a plus that I had not expected.
嘿,那老掉牙的收音机还响呢,这可是一笔意外收获呀。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部